How can one little dog poop so much?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by larryfoster, Feb 6, 2018.

1. larryfoster

larryfoster Well-Known Member

I can only speculate.

The older female would, rarely but occasionally, go on a streak for a few days where she would go on the floor overnight even though she always gets left out late.
    She's a worrier and sometimes forgets to do her business because she worries about her rabbits and her cats.
    She's made that part of her job.
    I am not 100% sure it is her

The boy is about 20 months and is well house trained to do his business outside.
    He is marking.
    This is very recent; just the last week or two.

A few months ago my son moved back home with his intact older male dog.
    The boys are buddies and get along well.

Both boys are being neutered on Friday.

Perhaps we're not cleaning the area as well as necessary because the girls have their accidents in same area.
    Tried 3 different cleaners and they don't work.
    Dogs go back to the same spot.

One area is on a worn wood floor.
    We scrubbed and steamed that area and sealed it.
    We didn't do the whole floor even though it needs it.
    Seemed to work for a few days.

Maybe, because we now have 4 dogs, this is an attention getter?

2. majiksummer

majiksummer Well-Known Member

The scent marking is probably due to another intact male recently moving in combined with age and hormones. Don't feel bad about neutering them, they'll be better off and happier without their jewels and it will help to reduce future wandering. I'm a huge fan of spaying and neutering, it makes for much better family pets and you don't have to deal with the hormones and behaviors r that they cause (or puppies!). It'll take a few weeks for the hormone levels to drop after neutering (double check with the vet on timeline) but it should help with the marking tremendously! The other thing that will help is more supervision and correcting it when it happens.

I doubt that it's an attention getter, dogs don't really think like that. More likely it is a reaction to the changes in the household throwing everybody off their groove. I'd start crating everybody when they can't be directly supervised and give them a few more weeks to adjust and nip bad habits in the bud. It's impossible to get rid of bad habits if you can't catch them in the act, they don't understand what they did wrong if you correct them when you find the mess later. As smart as border collies are, they just can't make those kind of intuitive leaps.

I really like Nature's Miracle for cleaning up pet messes, it's great stuff!

kalmara likes this.

3. larryfoster

Thanks, majiksummer.
    Also, I'll check out the cleaner, too.

4. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

I suspect there is some passive/aggressive behavior from the humans involved.

The first thing you do when you introduce a pup/new dog is to lather love on the existing pack. And you keep lathering love on the existing pack. Do not favor this outsider, at least until it earns it.

Take two weeks vacation at home and school this dog, and the others, would have been my suggestion on bringing it in. You’ve got a mess now.

Crate everybody but the dominate dog. Get it’s mind right, then work your way down.

More aggressive dogs, and you could end up dog food. Somebody/something is gonna decide to be pack Leader. Who’s it gonna be?

5. larryfoster

6. Jreed

Jreed Well-Known Member

feed the dog higher quality food or raw and see that change

7. larryfoster

Thanks, jreed.
    I may have forgotten to mention that I had made that change and the volume seemed to reduce almost immediately.
    We started her on 4 Health which we thought was a good food but it didn't totally agree with her.
    Often runny stool.
    Adding yogurt helped some.
    Switched to Diamond Natural which, also, seemed like a decent food but I missed seeing all the grain.

Right now she's eating Taste of The Wild.
    Grain free and seems to agree with her and a whole lot less poo