How can i keep my bunny cool during the summer?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by goatwishingstar, Aug 1, 2006.

1. goatwishingstar

goatwishingstar Active Member

During this time of year, temperatures get up to 95 degrees! How can i keep my bunny good and cool in this weather?

2. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Air circulation is important, have a fan/fans pulling air thru your rabbit area. Fill soda bottles with water, freeze them and put them in the cages, rabbits will lie next to them and get cool. During the hottest part of the day refill their water and add some ice to it, may help lowering their body temp during a crucial time. I give mine apple cider vinegar in their water, seems to perk them up, like rabbit gatoraid. I also freeze canned fruit in ice cube trays and give to the buns when its really hot. A lot of folks have misting systems, I do have a simple tube one thats for a dog kennel. I don't use it because I worry about fly strike, and have rex rabbits which wouldn't dry quickly.

3. AtHomeDaughter

AtHomeDaughter Well-Known Member

I use mason jars (no other type...mason jars are heavy duty!) filled with ice cubes and stick them in when I feed my bunnies in the a.m. and refill around noon. I also pour water on my bunnies when I go out occasionally or let them play in a baby pool (some bunnies enjoy this...least' my lops do). On extremely hot days, like today...(heat index 109) I bring the momma and her 7 wk. old babies (anyone looking to buy lops? ;) inside for the day. Shade is a great thing too! :)

4. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Rabbits are cooled by 3 factors: Respiration, Ears and Nasal Mucosa.
    Rabbits are mostly cooled by the evaporation of moisture during respiration (breathing). Fans help this cooling process by speeding evaporation.
    Cooling also occurs through nasal mucosa (by air passing over mucous membranes).
    The ears are also important for cooling as the blood moves to the farthest (coolest) points away from the body core. Rabbits do not have functional sweat glands, and only loose a small amount of moisture through the skin due to perspiration. The rabbit’s fur further inhibits the process of the rabbit being able to cool itself by evaporation of moisture from the skin.
    Using a fan to keep the air moving is probably your best bet.
    You can also buy cheap floor tiles at the hardware and place them in the freezer.
    If you have a Tin roof you can squirt it down a couple times a day or use a sprinkler on it. Also a spray bottle to wet down the ears helps.