How can I get rid of bats??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wendy, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I know they are good & all, but they roost in the barn & I am sooooooo tired of the bat droppings all over everything. I am talking a lot of bat poop! I do not like getting hay down for the animals only to find it covered in bat poop. :no: Any way to get them to move elsewhere??

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Ya oughta collect it on blue tarps. Yuppie gardeners pay a LOT for bat poo.

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

bare is right. Its a great fertilizer that some pay dearly to get. You could cover the ceiling with plastic to channel the droppings and keep them off your stuff. A pile of bat droppings will attract some bugs, but it needs to be fairly large to do so. If you are serious about evicting them, wait until cold weather. When they move to their winter location, you can seal the upper edges of the barn. This will be tedious and perhaps costly. It may not work if your barn cannot be closed up tight.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Bat guano can be dangerous is inhaled.

5. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I know they do lots of good but I always think about rabies when I see one, just to be on the safe side.

6. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Wendy, because of their super hearing bats do not like a lot of noise. United Rentals rents (go figure) a little ultrasonic thingy. You plug it in then it spins around and emits its sound (you can not tell if it's on or not) thus driving them away, then all you have to do is seal them out for good. Open warehouses have them installed and running 24/7 for birds. It is considered humane as all they have to do to relieve the discomfort is move away

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  8. gobug

Check out those ultrasonic things before you buy. They are illegal in CO because it is one of two states that actually test them. None of them work! They are all scams. I would use them and sell them in my pest control business if they worked. People who say they work are fooling themselves.

9. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

If I could only get them to come to my house! I have been trying to ATTRACT bats with little success! ~LoL~

10. gobug

I've tried the bat houses with little success. I have had 3 around my place for a decade. I would love it if a bat family would move in. I even captured bats from across town and put them in to one of my bat houses, only to have them move out the next day. Its worth a try, though. The materials can be scrap wood, and you would need to place it to cover their entry points into the barn. They are beneficial. They really reduce nighttime insects around your place. The comment above about the dangers is real. They may carry rabies, and their droppings, in volume, can support various pathogens. In addition, the critters can have batbugs, which are identical to bedbugs.
    Gobug

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

an old guy i know drove em out of his haybarn with stero speakers and music. he thjought for a while whale calls worked but they didnt stay gone for long.

he just leaves the rock & roll station blaring up top, and you can barely hear it below and outside... its LOUD up there. no bats.

I think id keep em and catch the turds in a tarp, bat doodoo is $$$$$$$ when ya find it around here.

12. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Glad to know that. I don't personally need one but will do my homework before recomending something like this again as I hate rip offs and cheats!

13. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Wish I could get more bats too.
    BooBoo

14. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Here's an article that is pretty interesting:

Close off bat entrance and exit points after dusk during the late summer, after pups have started flying on their own, so that orphaned pups are not left to die while their frantic mothers are stranded outside. You can make a one-way escape valve from screening to install over the main exits, which ensures that bats do not re-enter. Use polypropylene bird netting or fly screen to make a large flap over the escape hole. Use duct tape or staples to attach the netting above the exit. The netting should hang loosely and extend at least 20 cm (about a foot) on each side and below the exit point. The bats can slip out from under the mesh, but they can't climb back in. Leave the exclusion device in place several nights to ensure that no bats remain inside, especially in rainy or cool weather, when some bats may have entered torpor (similar to a self- induced coma) to conserve their energy.

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/epd/epdpa/ipmp/Brochures/bat.html

Maybe you could string up the netting, along beams to cut down on the population. I've seen this done with mud swallows, under bridges.

We'll be trying this on our attic, this fall, as I don't know if there are babies up there.
    lacyj
    p.s.

Exclusion techniques should not be used during the maternity season if young are present, usually from about the beginning of April through the end of August, when young bats are unable to f ly and manage on their own.
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/gallery/bats.html

15. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

How do i get rid of bats...

I send my relatives and inlaws home...

Ok... I have a sick sense of humor this morning.........

I dont have a barn or anywhere for them to roost, but we sure would like a few to stick around also to help control the 747 mosquito population here...

Lynn in Texas