How can I get information for family tree?

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by nostalgia, Mar 31, 2004.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

My father was in the Korean War. He has since passed away and I have been working on our family tree. Does anyone know how I can go about getting information or copies of his service records? The only thing I know about his service was that he was in the Korean war and he guarded an ammonition shack. I would really appreciate it if you could help. Thank you! :)

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would suggest you contact the vets rep at a place like the VFW or Amvets to get up to date correct info; there may also be a vets rep listed in your phone books government section.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Service records for Korean War soldiers are held at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. As the next-of-kin to a deceased veteran you can request a copy of his file by following the link below. BUT if your father was discharged before 1960 (US Army) or 1964 (US Air Force) his records may have been lost in the 1973 fire. These records have not been recreated and no duplicates were ever made.

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/vetrecs/

4. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Thank you both so much for your help. I haven't had a chance to do either of your suggestions but I will asap. I am afraid though that the records may have burned since Daddy served sometime in the 50's. :(

But I still appreciate your help very much. :)