How can I find help or a safe homstead partner?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Doeseatoats, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Doeseatoats

Doeseatoats Active Member

I live alone and have a wonderful set up for homesteading. I have 5 acres and a five bedroom house. The upstairs could easily be converted into an apartment. BUT, I don't want to advertize for fear of being taken advantage of. I was called up for Desert Storm and had a awful experence. I had to have some one quick and placed and add in the Dairy Goat Journal. I almost lost the farm. I am getting ready to retire and this would be ideal for a semi-retired person or someone who loves animals. I can't do it all alone.
    Edit/Delete Message :bash: :stars:

2. Frenchy

Frenchy Wrangler's Roost

don't know where you might find anyone at..............but I would recommend that whoever you get to .......be sure they have plenty of references with phone numbers an addresses to contact ..........Best of luck to you

:cowboy:

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i don't have any help to give on this one, but i love your screen name!

mairsie doats and doesie doats and liddle lamsie divey. a kiddle lee ivey doo, wouldnt you??

reminds me of my grammie.... :sing:

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

You might try a church or your church.
    Not all the church goers are real good people but you will be able to watch and listen.

Good luck.

5. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Get references from their last 2-3 landlords. Run a credit report on them. Check and see if they've been in trouble with the police. If they are church goers, talk to their priest/rabbi/minister. Talk to their employers.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Put the property in the hands of a property management company, with a very strong worded contract to protect you, nothing less will be adequate.

7. beginnerfarmer

beginnerfarmer Well-Known Member

I dont think thats a good idea! cause the way people are today, u can really trust folks today. but maybe u can find a church friend to live with ya.

8. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I think I'd go visit with someone in the local church not the minister but someone who knows the folks in the area...local busy-body...ask around. Lots of references!

9. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

You are obviously computer-literate, so I would suggest spending a couple hundred bucks to have a private investigstor do a background check on the person. This would be money well-spent.

While most clergymen are honest, they have to play politics with members of their flock, so their answers to your questions may sometimes be "measured", if you know what I mean.

10. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I have no idea where you live but how bout someone from this or another forum who is looking for some homesteading experience. You could rent with the rent being a certain number of hours of labor each day/week/month. And you could, besides checking them out every way possible, write a lease that said they would have to move out immediately should any thing be violated. Better yet, dont rent, just have someone stay with you on an "at will" basis with the understanding that they would have to move out when their welcome was exhausted?

11. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you male or female? do you want a man or a woman? What age group? What kind of work will they have to be doing? Would a retired couple work, or do you prefer a single individual? Do you have any physical disabilities you possibly need help with? Are there any romantic possibilities? Anyone who might consider such a deal would surely want to know the answers to all these questions. Another biggy is what state or country you live in. Getting better aquainted with the area people could feret out a few prospects.

12. brendanolen_CA

brendanolen_CA Active Member

13. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have local homesteading/goatkeeping/beekeeping/etc. groups? Ask there.

14. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I take offense at all the folks on here telling you to take in a fellow church-goer. There are so many great people who would love this kind of opportunity that don't have anything to do with any church. I, for one, would love to help someone out on a farm/homestead if I was able to. (I can't work on most farms because of my allergies to horses, cows, dogs, cats, and various other farm-related stuff.)

Please don't exclude people like me just because of our beliefs! How about just word of mouth with your neighbors or people you interact with on a regular basis. Someone might just have a nephew looking for this exact arrangement. I wouldn't advertise in the papers or anything, because then you just never know what kind of screwballs might have your contact info.

Know what kind of person/people you would like to see living there, and be specific when you are asking around. Like someone else said, too, don't be afraid to run background checks. Those of us with nothing to hide don't mind one bit.

15. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If you marry 'em you are entitled to half of thier earnings..........

16. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with checking out local churches, whatever you may be seeking.
    Barns are not the only place to find cows, but they are still a good place to look.

In an Old Barn

Tons upon tons the brown-green fragrant hay
    O'erbrims the mows beyond the time-warped eaves,
    Up to the rafters where the spider weaves,
    Though few flies wander his secluded way.
    Through a high chink one lonely golden ray,
    Wherein the dust is dancing, slants unstirred.
    In the dry hush some rustlings light are heard,
    Of winter-hidden mice at furtive play.

Far down, the cattle in their shadowed stalls,
    Nose-deep in clover fodder's meadowy scent,
    Forget the snows that whelm their pasture streams,
    The frost that bites the world beyond their walls.
    Warm housed, they dream of summer, well content
    In day-long contemplation of their dreams.

- Sir Charles G. D. Roberts (1860-1943)

17. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the living arrangement thing. But I found help with the
    "heavy stuff". I met a young man who is in the FFA (a senior) in high school. He has been such a big help to me on an "as needed" basis. He has a farm back ground and experience doing things I can't do. I would call the local high shcool and ask the person in charge of the FFA organization. You would still have to screen this person and still be careful. But it is a start of where to look. My helper has a younger brother, so when he goes off to college next year, his brother will take over. It is extra money in their pockets and I get my work done. You can also try the local 4-H or county extension office.
    Good Luck, I hope you find someone....

18. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

This is a mighty complicated topic.

I rent rooms as I travel on business away from the farm. Some places do background checks and some places just take a look at you. Personally, when someone says they want to do a background check, I just move on. Because this would be a person that is probably a breeding ground for trouble. The folks I've rented from that never look have all been low stress - everything worked out fine.

I know some folks that rented out about a dozen houses and had great luck. Their criteria was to look at the potential renters car. If they took good care of their car, they are likely to take good care of their place.

19. Doeseatoats

Thank you for this sorce. I plan on trying it'

20. Doeseatoats

Bin there done that. I can take care of my self. Don't need the extra baggage!