Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a root canal and went to my dentist for it. I don't have insurance and I asked how much? $735 was the answer. That's a lot for me, but I said okay go ahead. They do the root canal and fill it and give me a bill for $1125!!! What?!!! Is this?!!!

Apparently, filling in the big hole in your tooth is not part of the root canal, but something else. I know I can't be the only person to flip over a bill being hundreds more than it was supposed to be. I was flat-out lied to. She knew I couldn't leave without having the tooth filled back in! Theives.

So... How does one find an honest dentist? Asking for the price isn't good enough apparently.

:flame: RedTartan

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Sadly, you have to ask the exact question, such as: What the total cost be if I need a root canal?

I've found that the same is tru for mechanics, etc. I have to ask what will the total costs be for repairs. If I ask, "How much will it cost to change the spark plugs? " or whatever, there always seems to be something tacked on.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I hate to tell you this they are all corrupt. I was getting a filling done and the dentist is talking to his helper about how he is going to get kids in for more visits. Because the more they say they can't do the more they have to pay to come back. They did my filling and I asked him to do something else that needed done so I would not have to pay for 2 trips he refused. He just wants more money. I was so irratated. He said it would hurt to bad well ya know I am the one who asked so I must not think so.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
My sister & her dh are both dentists & both honest - so not all are corrupt! That said, I have run into a few that were dishonest, bad dentists, or just charged too much. You've got to ask questions first & ask friends for the names of their favorite dentists. We're low-income & I've found the Community Dental Clinic to be both professional & low-cost.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
This is a game that alot of dentists play, and sadly, alot of doctors too.

It is the:

"We didn't know the work was going to be this extensive" game.
"We got you in the chair" game.
"We pitched this idea to you like it was free, or at no charge, but the price is really high" game.
"We give you one price, but didn't mention all the other costs" game.
"Well, I thought you cared about your dental health" game.

And also:

"You signed these forms, and gave us your SSI #, so we will just turn it over to collections" game.
"As the dentist, I am soooooo important that I cannot be bothered with your payment concerns, so I am going to hide behind the front office staff, whom, by the way, as no way of negotiating, and will force you to pay the full amount" game.
"You ordered the work, now you have to pay the full amount" game.
"Even though the agreed price was $900 over the set price, you can make payments" game.
"We accept Visa and Mastercard, which is an option since we really put the screws to you" game.
"Our costs (Lexus payments) are really high, and you are asking us to come down in price?" game.

And before I forget:

"I am an almighty doctor/dental assistant/hygienist. I went to school for this! You are dirt under my feet! Who are you to question me? You WILL respect me because I am a dentist/hygienist" game.

Want to end this CORRUPT practice? Tell everyone that wants to treat you "That I must know the cost of everything/treatment BEFORE it is started."

Yes, sometimes there is an uncomfortable silence, but they quickly realize that you are not their next boat payment.

Isn't it funny that some of the only institutions in America where prices and costs are not talked about before hand, are the medical and dental trades? Prices are not ever talked about before hand, because they know they have you between a rock and a hard place. And some say we don't need reform in the medical fields, with price caps for treatments???

Isn't it funny that dentists and doctors don't post their prices? Again, this is done for a reason.

Oh, yeah, and it helps to find an honest, decent dentist. There are a few still out there, surprisingly.

Sadly, too many dental professionals are trying to treat themselves to your wallet, instead of treating your teeth.

Clove

PS- Bring on the bashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think so, WIHH.

I should have been told that I'd be charged to fill the tooth back in. It's NOT my job to know the dentist's business. I know you work in a dentist's office and I don't care. This practice IS misleading. I should have been told, "The root canal is $735 and tooth reconstruction costs between $x-$xx depending on how much of the tooth needs rebuilt."

That would have been honest.

If you disagree, reread the previous responses in this thread. You're wrong.

:coffee: RedTartan

ETA: And I am not going to write a letter asking for any kind of "refund". Something costs what it costs. I pay what I owe. I want nothing for free. I object to being lied to about the cost and then billed with no way to return the product.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I should have been told that I'd be charged to fill the tooth back in. It's NOT my job to know the dentist's business. I know you work in a dentist's office and I don't care. This practice IS misleading. I should have been told, "The root canal is $735 and tooth reconstruction costs between $x-$xx depending on how much of the tooth needs rebuilt."

If you disagree, reread the previous responses in this thread. You're wrong.

I think it's a matter of perspective. To the dentist it's a simple menu item. Usually it's a matter of choosing a code for the insurance company.

When someone asks, "How much is this going to cost me?", the dentist simply cannot relate.

Especially when it comes to folks who are paying out-of-pocket, they have forgotten the needs of the patient. They'd rather deal with teeth and coding than people.

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When someone asks, "How much is this going to cost me?", the dentist simply cannot relate.
Then he won't have me as a customer. Period. I can't afford $400 surprises.

P.S. Hey, Og. Would you mind editing your post to remove the first line that you quoted. I've altered it in my other post. Thanks.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Then he won't have me as a customer. Period. I can't afford $400 surprises.

P.S. Hey, Og. Would you mind editing your post to remove the first line that you quoted. I've altered it in my other post. Thanks.

Okay, I changed it to works that cannot be written.

(So, I guess that they didn't show up.)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
There are some honest and wonderful dentists out there, and I've known a couple over the years. Our last dentist in CT went out of his way to save us money, and even discounted some procedures when we didn't have insurance.

I like the one we have here in NC well enough, but he just tried to sell my hubby a crown for a simple chipped molar. There was no crack in the tooth, no exposed nerve, nothing that would indicate a crown was needed.

I'd suggest you ask the dentist to adjust your bill since you can't afford so much more than the estimated cost. He really should have told you if re-filling the tooth wasn't included in the quoted price. And if he's not willing to negotiate, just pay the bill in payments and find another dentist.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There are honest dentists out there. You should have gotten a written estimate for the total cost just like an auto repair estimate. that way you would have proof of what was quoted to you. I have done that with crowns and root canals befor and usually they are happy to provide you with one.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts

I agree. There's no way you can have a root canal without some kind of closure for the opening. They know that and many patients don't, especially those who've never had it done before. When told you needed a root canal and you asked "how much" you should have been told the total. Anything else is dishonest.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Wow, I guess I must have one of those honest dentists - even if I'm already in the chair, I am given a written treatment plan, complete with price and how much of that is covered by my insurance BEFORE he proceeds. I am very happy with the care I've been given there (and due to early bad experiences, I am a nervous nelly at the dentist).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
"I am an almighty doctor/dental assistant/hygienist. I went to school for this! You are dirt under my feet! Who are you to question me? You WILL respect me because I am a dentist/hygienist" game.

PS- Bring on the bashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No need for bashing, you did just fine :shrug: I'd love to go with you when you get your car serviced, and you tell the mechanic what's wrong with your car and what you want done before he even looks at it to see what's REALLY wrong.

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if it makes you feel better to say I'm wrong, then go ahead - say it. But that -nor the general consensus of posts on a forum make it so.
You are, apparently, unfamiliar with the phrase "The customer is always right." The "general consensus" of customers agree with me.

As for the rest of your post: :boring:

·
23,497 Posts
I do think it is frustrating to rarely ever know the cost upfront. And if you ask the doctors they look at you like you have mentioned something they never even dreamed of!!! And if you ask the office staff they look at you like you are such a bother. I think they should have a list of services and how much each thing costs. I know it will never happen though...

Not having insurance for many years, I learned to question the need for almost every test, procedure, prescription, etc... And one of my kids had to have a root canal and they did explain the reconstruction phase and the costs of it also.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Red Tartan, I have a dentist (Dr. Custer) within driving distance to you that is absolutely wonderful, upright and honest. If he tells you something... it will be that way. If something unexpected pops up, he will tell you.

PM if you want details.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
(sigh)

Your dentist was honest. He answered your question. You have an obligation to be your own advocate. You were not fully educated to know what questions to ask and he can't read your mind and answer what you didn't ask. He's thinking about what he can do to help you, about the procedure itself - and not about the price. It may surprise you to know that most of the dentists I have worked for don't ever know what the prices are, and whether or not the patient has insurance or if they owe them a gazillion dollars already. If they are in pain and ask for their help -they give it. And they try to treat every patient as if they were a member of their family and offer them the same care and consideration as they would a member of their own family.
Be your own advocate???? This is extremely hard to do in todays medical enviroment, where thousands of dentists have learned that their pocket book and bank account are more important than your well being. If the dentist cared that much about you and your care, he/she would be an adocate for you.

What this boils down to is money, plain and simple. It is also outright fraud, and the raping of the American consumer.

Any dentist that doesn't know their own rates tells me that they are poor business people.

As well, any dentist that cannot give you an estimated cost is truely showing what little regard they have for their patients.

Isn't is odd that all the treatments, tests, etc. (needed or not), are a great idea when someone is footing the bill????

Alot of doctors and dentists I know have built themselves an ivory tower to reside in, and have become arrogant and out of touch with the rest of the world. But then again, much of it is simple greed.

BTW, who set those rates for the dental care they offer? The receptionist?

Try stiffing your dentist for any amount of money for a while, and call them for an appointment. Bet you get transfered the AR gal, where a payment plan can be arranged for you before you set a new appointment.

So let's say you do get appt., even though you haven't paid on your bill for months. Do you really think that the dentist is going to go the extra mile for you??? Yeah, right. It comes back to money.

I think that all dentists should be heavily regulated, and price caps on services provided should be instated by the federal government.

Clove

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
There are honest dentists out there. You should have gotten a written estimate for the total cost just like an auto repair estimate. that way you would have proof of what was quoted to you. I have done that with crowns and root canals befor and usually they are happy to provide you with one.
This is good advice!!!

You can also price shop with these, just like you would at car dealers.

Also, cold hard cash paid at time of service can also win you a discount if negotiated ahead of time. This has worked well for me.

Clove

·
Goshen Farm
7,271 Posts
OK lets everyone take a long deep breath LOL. When we are dealing with opinions, which we are here- no one is right or wrong. We are all right that this is our opinion- meaning it is from our perspective. There are honest and dishonest in all professions. Some folks just seem to locate all of the troublesome ones.

I have had some wonderful dentists in my time and a very few whom I felt were not up front with me. Unfortunately one bad apple does make all the apples seem less than great. This the nature of business, all business. A compliment goes to a few folks whilst a complaint goes to a few hundred folks. And this is, merely, my opinion. sis

1 - 20 of 60 Posts