Homesteading Forum banner

How big of market garden

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hiddensprings 
#1 ·
Hello all

I know this is kind of a difficult question to answer.

But how big should your first market garden be for a farmers market or maybe how big was your first market garden?

#3 ·
1.) I have been doing a personal garden for the last 15 years
2.) I'm in Northern California with a 9A hardness zone
3.) Soil isn't bad but I don't have a breakdown via a test but I have been able to raise everything from corn to tomatoes. (maybe ill have a soil test done)
4.) it would be just part time starting out

I do have about 17 acres that can be used for garden/orchard space but I don't want to start out that big.

Currently I only plant about .10 of acre right behind my house but I have been tossing around the idea of doing a farmers market.

#4 ·
I sell citrus at our local farmer's market, and I've seen the farms of several who sell veggies.

One lady has about half a dozen large 6'x20' raised beds in her yard. She has a couple of the plastic/fabric green houses to grow winter vegetables. I think she only sells at two markets.

Another grower sells at four markets and has about ten acres in a field with LOVELY soil.

One grower has a shipping container with climate control inside and sells mushrooms that he grows year round. He is ramping up his operation with a new building this year because he can't keep up with demand. He sells at two markets, one meat market, and to several local restaurants.

It is a HUGE time commitment. Preparations the day before and the day of the market is pretty intense. That doesn't include the regular time a garden requires.

Our markets in this area require that you have a 10'x10' tent cover for your "booth." Most folks have a couple of tables under that, and they bring their product in ice chests and crates. You are required to have signage, either on the table, or a banner.

Prices for booth space vary by location. $20 for the one I sell at, but $40 at another just 10 miles away.

#6 ·
It really depends on how much you can reasonably maintain. Ours is about 1/3 of an acre and we will probably increase to 1/2 acre next season. Weeding, planting, harvesting, prepping/packaging for market all take time so you have to determine how much you can manage. We both have off-farm jobs so 1/2 acre is the largest we can possible maintain.

#7 ·
I think it all depends on lots of factors. If you want to grow a variety of items to sell, you'll need a bigger garden. If you want to focus on specific things, you need less usually. I tried the whole market garden with lots of variety and found it too much work and stress when harvesting. I ended up specializing in Garlic and herbs. Easy-peasy to grow, harvest, and sell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.