How big is your homestead?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by miclew, Mar 8, 2005.

How big is your homestead?

1. < than 1 acre

2. 1-5 acres

3. 5-10 acres

4. 10-20 acres

5. > 20 acres

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

I am curious to know how big y'alls places are. We currently own 14 acres but we are downsizing. We are selling this place and buying a house with 5 acres. We are doing this so that we will be completely debt free and then we will have enough to buy a second place up in TN 3-5 acres.

michele

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have 160 acres, 1/4 section. Just the right size for me. Lots of diversity, forest small rocky mountain, stream and ponds, about ten acres of usable land around the house, so far, would like to increase that by aobut ten acres more.

3. WV_Countryboy51

WV_Countryboy51 Member

12 acres here in hills of WV. Mostly all hillside. lol

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We have at our disposal well over 125 acres, but realistically, we only use about 5. It would be nicer if the 5 were FLAT instead of seriously tilted at a 45 degree angle! Makes trying to lay out pastures and gardens tough. Unless we terrace our gardens tend to run downhill. The rest of our property is woodlot. The book "5 Acres and Independance" had it about right. A well managed 5 acre lot in a decent climate would provide a family with pretty much all the protein and carbohydrates (vegetables and fruit) they could use, provided they raised chickens and pigs, say, and didn't plan on wintering them over. Otherwise you're going to need to buy winter feed. I'm not opposed to buying feed: calories produced off your farm and brought onto your farm increase the "net value" of your soil over time, but it is a financial drain that one needs to consider.

That, and choosing a FLAT piece of property!

5. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

We have 3.5 acres. We have lived here 5 years, and are just getting started on working things as I've had terrible health problems since we've been here and we just haven't had the money for anything but medical bills. Our land is literally just a hill and not good for much of anything but fruit trees, which is what we are considering. Too steep and small for livestock, or any kind of crop. But, it's our little piece of heaven and we love it! At least it's quiet and we can do whatever we want to it. :D

6. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

We live on 6 acres in the Harpers Ferry WV area. But our farm further down in WV had 108. It goes up and down and runs across 2 ridges. With views of Spruce Knob seen everywhere. That's the highest point in WV. We hope to move there permantly in a few years. I have 2 children who still have 2-3 years of high school left. My older 2 are finished with school and I want the younger 2 to finish at the same school. Or else I would move now. You can't see any thing but hills from our place and it's so peaceful and quiet.

7. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    We have about 100 acres in two separate homesteads.We are building a house in the woods.That place is 66 acres with about five cleared.We will sell the one we are in now when we get ready to move.Like shagbarkmtcatle,we want more peace and less work.

Backwoods

8. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

we have a beautiful little 23 acre farm with a wet weather creek and hills and some tillable. Wich is good for the ozarks. About 2/3 cleared. Split into 3 pastures all comming together in the middle with a barn and corall and loading shoot. 2 ponds, one has catfish, bass and panfish in it. Small little 2 bd cottage

9. Gypsy

Gypsy Well-Known Member

We are just on 2 acres. It is smaller then I would have liked, but it was the only way we could afford a house that dw would be willing to live in. I know every square inch of our property and we're trying to make every square inch count!

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I have 340 acres and wish I had more

11. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots and lots of hills. We had 5 acres of mature trees (out of a total of 72 acres) that were in the back of the property timbered last year. I am afraid a 4 wheeler might flip over going up the logging road. Gonna hafta find out soon!

We walked up to the top, and then cut over to head to the hilltop where we will be building our cabin. We went down the side, up and down another, expecting the foundation to be at the top of the next hill. Well there was another hill before the one our new home will be on.

Yup. Lots of hills in West Virginny.

12. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Home place is 150 acres, about 138 tillable. The other farm is 320 acres in two parcels cut by the road, about 308 tillable.

13. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We have 160 acres, 55 planted to Barley last year, took off in November for green feed, 15 acres will be deep-disced and seeded this year, and all will be to hay by fall, with nurse crop. 40 acres are in stumps and second growth poplar -- ten years old, may clear and break that 40 acres . . . hmmm, the rest is pine, spruce, willow, and poplar and those stands will likely stay their beautiful selves forever.

We are in 700 feet from the road, don't need anymore land, and we are grateful and happy for the abundant and beautiful land we have, and our wonderful homemade-humble-rustic log cabin.

Alex

[​IMG]
    View Out Cabin Northeast Windows to 55 Acre Barley Field -- This Last Fall, and 5 Acre Deer-Islands of Pine Spruce and Poplar on either Side

14. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

We have 5 1/3 (don't forget the 1/3) acres about 50/50 woods and pasture. I think I would like more, maybe a 5 acre hay field would be nice, but am happy to have what I have and no mortgage!!

Carol K

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have 96 acres. Started out looking for 40, but this place was perfect so we bought it.

[​IMG]

16. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

I began 20 years ago on 80 acres, ran it up to 1,200 acres, and now am retired on the original 80.

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

original farmgarden was about an acre with intensive gardeniing with 25 acres attached non-cleared scrub land. Moved to 160 acres mixed with mostly wetland or sloped woodlot. Some of that was about 20 acres useable pasture that is growing back to willow in the low spots. Farm potential is marginal, but interesting.Abutting to wild lands now heavily logged all around for mostly hardwoods to supply the insatiable strand board mill nearby.

18. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

A litle parcel of 17 acres in NC with a 1/4 mile long driveway leading back to it.

Not enough trees for what we really wanted but otherwise suits us just fine.

Wish we lived there...

19. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

About 200 all together. The main homestead is on about 165 acres. The rest is not attached or even near the main homestead so it is being sold. I'd like to have a few thousand acres but circumstances and finances dictate that 165 is what I will have for the time being. Some property near is going to come up for sale in the next few years and I hope and can at least get part of it.

20. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

95 acres, very secluded, free gas, 4 artesian springs, 2 stocked ponds, good well, about 15 acres pasture, another 20 could be . The rest is woods, mostly oak, walnut and cherry.125 year old farm house that will be in a state of constant remodel from now on. and the best part? no mortgage.