How big is your home?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, Apr 12, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

Just wondering how big everyones home is and how many live there.

I'm trying to get a good idea on what size home to build.

thanks
    Danny

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If I were your age and single, I would build a 20 by 20 or so, just to add to it later as needs enlarged keeping the floor plan simple and affordable. Focus on haveing the kitchen set up so that the sink and counter are one point of a triangle, the fridge #2 and the stove #3. Place the kitchen and bath back to back to keep plumbing costs down. The heating unit if your going to use wood needs to be central or at least fully within the structure to prevent heat loss via radiation. The foundation of any fire place needs to go all the way to the Earth where there is a poured slab to support it. Don't just jump on it without fore thought and reading a couple of design books; things as suttle as the roof overhang affect your future heat and cooling cost. Use no aluminum in your wireing, copper only; read the support charts for your roof if there is snow load; overkill the foundation and floor joists - allways error on the heavy duty side of any question.

I have lived in a 9 by 11 cubical in the past, then in an 8 by 18 truck box for 18 months without feeling spaceless. There is presently 2 of us in a 22 by 28 single bedroom house, thank God she does not keeps cats! Check the search feature for small house plans, they have been posted here in the past.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

now we are in a 2800 there is just the 2 of us in sept. we will move to our 22.6x30 close to 700 sq.feet and thats pleanty for the 2 of us

4. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

We are currently 5 ppl ( 2 adults and 3 kids) in a two bedroom "glorified apartment". The sq foot is 1000. The basement is under construction, and if the govenor ever lets me have any of our money we will finish the top floor. We are doing OK in the "apartment" but it would be nice to have more space. We are both over 6 feet, and the kitchen is a racetrack.
    Did I mention the 2 dogs, 2 Guinea Pigs and all the seed pots I have everywhere? AHHH but we get to hang out on the 10 acres I found.....

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I think about either 18x24 or 16x20, one and a half stories would be good-could fit two bedrooms in the second floor if you build the side walls under the roof tall enough (don't need to be too tall-I've seen real short ones work good) and a steep enough roof to give head room and it should work-could fit a decent size kitchen in the back half downstairs and a small front room in front of it with a good size hallway/entry-which would be nice to keep mud, dirt, etc. out of the other rooms, with the staircase there as well, on one side of the narrow wall of the house-I'm thinking of a design from an 1850 pattern book as a good base-a basic design that is quite common here, with the entry on the gable end-the basic plan is generally the same, how it's finished varies. Well, I wish I could sketch it out for you-as it's a design I'd like to use-though possibly in logs, which would be a little different.

6. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

Our house is around 2200 finished square feet, with probably around 1000 square feet of unfinished space (between basement, storage room & attic). Then we also have an attached garage that's around 16' x 26'. Surprisingly enough though, it was one of the few places in our area that we could afford! We have virtually no land though, .13 acres. But, my earthboxes should be here next week, so at least this year I'll have a garden (our soil is crap, no nutrients, full of rocks, and we're not planning on staying here for too long, so I don't want to take the time to build up the soil since the next person probably wouldn't appreciate it).

We're going to build a camp this summer, with an interior groundfloor footprint of 16' x 16' with a sleeping loft (probably 10'x18'), so that'll be 436 square feet. I'll let you know how that works out!

We currently have two humans, a dog (German Shepherd), a cat, and two fish. We did have one other human and another dog living here, and that got a bit crowded (friend from high school and her 130lb. dog).

We used to have a camp that was 28x32. It had three bedrooms, a kitchen, and living room and a 3/4 bath. We used to have up to 12 people staying there in a weekend, and it never seemed too terribly crowded (but it was summertime and so everyone could be outside!)

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

4 people with a baby on the way in 600 sq ft house,
    4 rooms , no bathroom

it doesnt matter as much when you spend most of the time outside working, i like smaller homes, my hubby wants to build a huge one, i know that the bigger the house the less likely you are to get outside and get stuff done, cause the house demands more time etc to upkeep , plus its home ....

that being said i would like to have about another 600-100 sq ft,
    at least an indoor bathroom ,and a larger kitchen another bedroom would be nice too, that way my the boys and girls could have seperate rooms , and things like that
    but i like smaller homes :D
    just my preference
    Beth

8. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

1220 sq ft for 3 people. Only problem is inadequate storage space. I'd love a full basement! If I were building it from scratch I would design it differently, but as for space itself, it's ample.

9. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

880 for 2 people and have plenty of room to spare

10. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I think mine is about 900 sqft. Just me in it, with currently 5 dogs and 4 cats and 2 snakes. It's a 3BR though, and it's had families with kids in it in the past.

The things I'd find important if I were to build from scratch, as far as layout is concerned, are:

- an outside door at each end of the house (my front door and back door are at the same end of mine; if there's a fire, we might get trapped in the bedrooms)

- lots and lots of storage: clothes and linen closets, space for cleaning equipment, good-sized laundry room/pantry with lots of shelves and room for freezer, storage space for stuff like Christmas decorations and out-of-season clothes and such

- one "extra" room that can be kept pet-free, for tinkery projects/sewing/whatever that you might leave out on the table until you get back to it (dining table will do, but get used to having a mess on it once you start leaving stuff out)

- bedroom facing east, living room facing south (or west), kitchen facing west (or south), utility rooms along the north wall to help with insulating the living space in winter

- heating located centrally (my woodstove is at the living room end of the house - none of the heat makes it down the hallway and into the bedrooms)

- plumbing run in inside walls to cut down on pipe freezes in really cold weather

- good roof overhang to keep sun off windows in summer, mainly on south and west sides of house; winter sun is lower and will still come in

- plan ahead for future additions to the house; meaning, put well/septic far enough from house to allow for anything from a wide porch to a room addition wherever you think you might want to put that at some point. Maybe you'll want a sunroom/greenhouse on the southside some day, or a garage/workshop on the northside.

- a designated mudroom at the main entrance (the one that's used most), for muddy shoes, wet coats, cow muck coveralls, etc. Cuts down on house cleaning big time.

- no doors smack against a wall, it's a waste of space; always put them about 18 inches in from the nearest wall to allow for a shelf or something along the wall when the door is open. It costs you 18 inches of wall space on one wall and gains you 3 feet on the other.

Also, one thing I really, really like about my house is that it sits about 3 feet off the ground, on a concrete block stemwall. There's enough space below to go work on the plumbing or replace the insulation if necessary (and store stuff - packrat here), and the concrete block really cuts down on varmint crawling up into the walls. If we get some flooding, the water has to get mighty high to get into the house.

11. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

I live in a 3,000 sqft old farmhouse. Does not include the big enclosed porch AKA playroom for the kids :haha: ) We have 6 people ( 2 adults, 4 kids) and a few pets in the house ( 1 dog, 3 hamsters, 2 pet mice )

We would like to eventually add on so we have more bedrooms so each of the kids could have their own room.

12. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

We just built new last year. We have about 2000 square feet of finished space, a full unfinished basement, and a two car garage attached. The house is 3 bedroom, 2 full baths, utility room, 2 pantries, average sized kitchen, living room, dining room and formal library. There are 5 of us living here, 4 adults and 1 child. Its not crowded at all, unless we're all trying to rummage something to eat in the kitchen at the same time! We also have 15 acres of land to go with it.

13. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We live in a two story log cabin near Moberly Lake, BC, 560 ft2 on first floor and 500 ft2 on second floor: just right for the two of us -- and in the begining there were four of us -- two childern. The total living area we have is 1,060 ft2, plus two lower-covered decks of 240 ft2 each, plus two open-uncovered upper decks -- 240 ft2 each. Plus there is 160 acres to live in/on.

We are very happy with these layouts:

[​IMG]
    Ideal First Floor, For The Two of Us

[​IMG]
    Second Floor

Good Luck,

Alex

btw We didn't have an inside toilet for the first 2 years and 2 months -- it seems like the right thing now though.

14. bergere

bergere Just living Life

We have moved up to a 1700sf House. There are just three of us, two birds and a cat inside. I like this size, but would not want anything bigger. Gives us a little room to move around in the years we have really grey wet winters.

15. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

We have three adults living in 1344 sq. feet, a new manufactured home. Grandma has the whole back, with her own bath, walk-in closet, bedroom (the master bedroom on the plans), and a sitting room. My daughter and I each have a bedroom in the front part of the house -- our rooms are pretty small, but adequate. The living area is small, but we don't use it much. Dining and kitchen areas are adequate, but we sure need a big pantry!

Kathleen

16. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Our home is 24' x 32' with one bathroom and a sleeping loft upstairs. WE opted for a tin roof which in spite of numerous hurricanes has held up really well. We cleared the land and built it ourselves back in 1982, it cost us $6,500.00. (I have NO idea what it would cost today.) It is small but we raised 2 children, each had their own room and have lived in it happily. I can't imagine living with the strain of having to make a mortgage payment every month. I hope you are able to build your house yourself, it is such a rewarding experience.
    Have a blessed evening.
    Tamilee

17. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have a big old [1853] victorian farm house. 3500sq. ft. 17 rooms, big house. and we love it, my hubby and I , and 5 poms. we have two stair ways, and 2 large baths. a walk in pantry 9by 14. that I keep full, with cnning . a root cellar, a storm cellar, we are using 4 bed rooms, a guest room, a movie room a parlour, formal dining room, and a 24 ft by 27 ft, kitchen , complete with woodcookstove. it is a big house. i always lived in a small house, but now, I love this big ole house.
    we have new baby goats in the litchen from time to time, and we have had a calf, colt, chickens a piglet, and turkeys, and just about everyting in the kitchen from time to time.
    my kitchen isn't fancy, but big enough to can and do in, as well as eat. I also have a gas stove in it. plus, a laundry room.
    we are thinking of adding another bath room, and a family room off the kitchen.
    a lot of room for 2 people, but we love it. one thing about it, I always have room for people.

18. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

We are two people and two dogs in a 1150 sq ft house we built our selves. It is a great size but I wish i had an exercize room.

19. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

With help of friends, relatives, my husband, son and I built our own house back in 1993, I got a vacation house plan and redid it to fit our needs. It's 864 sq ft and one bedroom and bath. We do have a large pump house that we use for storage. We love our place and glad we built small to save on heat and taxes. We bought books on how to wire and general house building. My brother did the plumbing. There are lot of building plans on the internet to look over and see what is best for you. I always wanted a Aframe house but I didn't find a place with trees, and I didn't think it would look good in the middle of our bare land, so I picked another plan. An Aframe I think would be easy to build.

20. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

My theory on home size is...

If you have to unplug the vacuum to reach every corner, the house is too big.