Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
instead of 1 very big garden i have 3 smaller ones. the largest is being redone now thru snow lol measures 40X33 then i have 2 others which measure 45x18 and 28X 16 which would seem like lots of room but 1/2 of the largest is planted with Iri i sell. 1/2 of the 2nd largest is planted with Raspberries and the Middle of the largest aLso has a cold frame and 2 strawberry beds in the center at 6X8 out of center so there is alot of room already taken. So i just wanted to know on average what everyones garden/s size is?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ours is 65' x 35'. We just have the one but I am thinking of adding and prepping another smaller one for next year sometime before the winter. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
I grow in raised/boxed beds... so I will give you the beds and sizes - which represents actual growing space (as opposed to a large area that includes walkways etc.). I have many beds of various sizes.

Permanent beds (perennial plantings)

2' X 8' = 16 SF (strawberry patch)
4' X 8' = 32 SF (asparagus patch)

Regular veggie garden beds

4' X 40' = 160 SF
4' X 32' = 128 SF
4' X 16' = 64 SF
4' X 12' = 48 SF
4' X 12' = 48 SF
4' X 8' = 32 SF
4' X 8' = 32 SF

Plus I have an 8' X 8' greenhouse.

Altogether the perennial planting areas are 48 Square Feet
My regular garden area beds total up to 512 Square Feet (actual growing space - not walkways etc).

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
this year I decided to plant 3 gardens.
One is the main garden where I grow Brussel sprouts, brocolli, tomatoes, leeks, onions, peas, cabbages, peppers and a few assorted other brassica type veggies.
This plot is about 70 x 70 ft.
The 3 sisters garden is growing sweet corn, squash, melons, and climbing pole beans
This plot is about 40 x 30 ft.
The potato patch is seperate also, with 5 rows each 25 ft. long.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
themamahen said:
instead of 1 very big garden i have 3 smaller ones. the largest is being redone now thru snow lol measures 40X33 then i have 2 others which measure 45x18 and 28X 16 which would seem like lots of room but 1/2 of the largest is planted with Iri i sell. 1/2 of the 2nd largest is planted with Raspberries and the Middle of the largest aLso has a cold frame and 2 strawberry beds in the center at 6X8 out of center so there is alot of room already taken. So i just wanted to know on average what everyones garden/s size is?
We have one 4x16 raised bed. When we have moved out to the homestead I want to have three just like it, total. It produces an extraordinary amount of vegetables! Two years ago, we planted six cucumber seeds and harvested over 300 cukes. We are still eating the pickles! LOL

donsgal

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
mine is 20 beds 4 foot wide, with lenths of 12 to 25 foot long to make about 700 square foot of growing space. And a 8x12 green house.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
uhhhmmmm, I used to always plant 'em but neither me nor CF need that kinda carbohydrates no more...metabolic syndrome or something - :shrug: raises our dern blood sugar...so we severely limit the amount of corn and taters we consume - but it leaves room in the garden for lots of other goodies so we don't feel deprived...much. Still, once in awhile, I gotta have some sweet corn and new potatoes -the neighbor up the road has a roadside stand and if I get desperate I can always head on over there after dark... :)
Instead of potatoes, maybe you might like having Jeruslem artichokes (either grow them or buy them). They are good for complex sugars, mainly it's inulin in them. That breaks down different than starch like in potatoes to better maintain glucose metabolism. As for sweet corn, don't know what one could substituted for that? some strawberry popcorn perhaps? Not sweet, but great snack food.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
WIHH,
I just thought of something that is a good veggie to try that isn't sweet corn, but has a nice sweeter taste than most brassicas. Brassicas are good for you. 'Oliver' or 'Bubbles' brussel sprouts after a good nip of frost. Man, they are good! Nothing like store bought, nor bitter or anything. Just plain delicious.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
the main garden is about 60 x 60. 20 x 20 of it is over-run with black raspberries...at least i get something from that. then i have an 8 x 16 (or so) ft. strawberry patch and 4 4x6 ft. quasi-raised beds. i also started a 10 x 10 ft. patch in my field where i am growing bloody butcher corn for seed, yellow patty pan squash for seed and green beans for seed. i plan to expand that field into a berry field eventuall where i will have 1 acre of bramble berries of various types and continue to grow the bloody butcher corn.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Main garden is about 50x30, just guessing. 9 or 10 rows (we're expanding it) 4' x 30' plus some blueberry bushes.

Three sisters garden about 30x30 with corn, pole beans, and squash.

We toss around the idea of planting grains and dried beans in yet MORE plots, but this is just our second year here and we can't peddle any faster than we already are ;)

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Vegetable garden is 35' x 75'

fruit / herb garden is also 35' x 75' (cranberries, blueberries, blackberries, red, yellow & black raspberries. galic, comfrey, walking onions, asparagus, rhubarb, horseradish + annual herbs.

Additionally there are perennial & annual herbs in other flower gardens around the place.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Our lower garden, where I grow most of our veggies, is 40'x80' and the upper garden, where I have all the viney stuff (mostly winter squash and melons), is 30'x30', but I should have made it bigger because the vines are extending at least 10 feet beyond the borders in every direction. I have ten herb beds in the yard, but I don't know their sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I am so jealous of all the great big gardens. Ahhh someday. My current garden is 9 4x4 beds and 1 3x15 bed. I also have herbs scattered throughout my flower gardens. The plan is to almost double the garden next year.

I live in Suburbia on a 3/4 acre lot. My neighbors all have small gardens and laugh that I should just plow up my whole lawn and plant veggies instead. I'm thinking about it. If it was our forever home, I would.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Heather, I well remember gardening in the suburbs, lo those many years ago (more than 20 now). I planted tomatoes and broccoli between the driveway and the fence, where all my neighbors had rocks. On the other side of the house, I had raspberries and, once, I grew winter wheat there, too, just to see if I could. Behind the garage, I had my regular garden, where I planted all sorts of things. It did really well, since it was right next to my neighbor's swimming pool. It got plenty of water and it didn't cost me a dime.

I, also, had a nice peach tree beside the garage. Luckily, I never saw it bear fruit, because we moved to the country. I've heard the peaches are delicious (I'm glad nobody cut it down)

Out front, I grew strawberries and hot peppers, among the shrubs and annual flowers.

Oh, yeah, I had a hydroponic garden in the basement, too. Fresh veggies all winter! I guess, where there's a will, there's a way.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
when I lived in town in another era, there was only a postage stamped yard. The east side was shaded all day long, so no hope of gardening until a neighbor offered me a plot about 40 x 30. I still wanted quite a bit of produce, so to maximize that, we planted it completely in raised 4 ft. square beds, each sectioned off to one square foot. Almost exactly following it as Mel Bartholomew wrote in his book and PBS t.v. series "Square Foot Gardening". It's the best method for those living in tight land quarters still wanting to benefit from a bountiful harvest. I remember one thing about all the beans we picked. It was literally bags full that we mostly gave away to the neighbors, and it all grew from just a few plants spiraling up the tent pole. You can get a LOT of produce by vertical gardening mixed with the square foot method.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Some of you have HUGE gardens!!! Do you eat all that aor sell it? I am enlarging mine to 3000 sq feet this year (from 2000) . It is odd-shaped to accomodate the chicken run on one end. I love it! I wish I had put the orchard elsewhere so I could enlarge it even more!!! I have 24X4 foot beds 2 of-strawberries; 1 red raspberries; 1 in Black raspberries and blackberries; 1 for grapes' and part of one is blueberries. The rest is veggies. I really could use more space, but it is much more fun to play out there in May than it is in August!!!

We haven't had rain for 2 MONTHS. I ask the Lord every night to solve two problems with one thing - relieve those to the north of us by sending us their rain.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.