How big a pile?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Oct 12, 2006.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from the muddy state of montana! I have had enough fun with the mud in our driveway and front yard so am having 10 yards of 3/4 gravel delivered tomorrow afternoon. I need to know approximately the size pile this will make so I can figure out where to land it till I can spread it myself with wheelbarrow etc. thanks in advance. sis

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

As close as you can to where you need it! Less wheelbarrow work the better.... :)

Standard dump truck pile is what you are getting, prob 8 feet wide, 6 feet long? Maybe a little more spill out the edges. No power lines or low trees overhead!

--->Paul

3. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

Give the delivery guy a cash tip and he will dump it along the length of the driveway so you have less to spread.

4. fixer1958

fixer1958 None of the Above

If this is your first layer of rock you may need to put down some bigger rock first to keep it from sinking. Or if it keeps sinking, that's the problem. It will disappear if there is a lot of water come spring and the frost line breaks.
    My opinion.

5. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Whenever I've had gravel delivered for the drive the driver always spread it down the lane. I've had to do some light blade work to even it all out once in awhile, but a good truck driver can do a very good job of laying it out.

If you have to put it into odd shaped areas you probably won't have taht option.

6. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

When we added to our driveway and made a base for our shed we had 25 tons of 3/4 stone delivered -- one large dump truck. All in one pile -- moved it all with myself and 4 sons. Amazing that all of that weight takes up so little space! Getting ready for some more soon -- help ..... :help:

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Bingo! That's what we did...except we didn't have to tip him or pay him any extra to dump the three loads (~30 yards) down the length of our 400 foot driveway.

8. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

we put 2-3" lateral rock down as a base packed that for a couple weeks then had 1/2-3/4 gravel tailgated over it made for a nice drive .
    with over a half mile of driveway we get around 60 ton a year hopefully another year or two and it will all be in good shape and we wont need to get rock for a while.

9. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've ever done this before or not, but doing it manually yourself is a KILLER! It was for me anyway... and it was pretty hard on my husband too. The driver will spread it really well for you without having to offer a tip - at least around here. It's just part of the job they do all day long.

If you give them the dimensions of your driveway and tell them the problem, they can tell you what you'll probably need.