Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would hate to jsut waste it, my largest pumpkin this year, I measured today, is 2 lb.s short of 60#. I'd like to processes it. The small ones I jsut cut in half and roast, but there is no way I can do that with this one! lol what would you do? BTW, I will be saving the seeds if anyone wants to try groing a large pumpkin. I can't gurentee you it didn't cross with anything though.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
My personal feeling is a 60 pounder will be too pithy and not have enough sugar to make it a good pumpkin for human consumption. We feed anything that big, actually anything not specifically grown as a pie pumpkin, to the critters. Who could care less if it is pithy!

To process smash apart with a shovel... into pieces too small to roll over on a chicken and trap it (um... yes... I have discovered very angry hens under half shells!), heave into pens.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh good lord.....can't have any angry hens!

ITs one of those "giant Pumpkins" not really a pumpkin with the pinkish skin instead...I had heard that the were actually more of a squash and could be eatten but if not, I'll use it as critter food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts