Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids haven't started yet...we have 13 days to go but they are so excited! My baby (age almost 5) will be starting preschool and just can't stand the wait. My oldest son is going into first grade and considers himself to be a "big" boy now.

For those who have already started- how are your kids doing? Any great first day of school stories out there?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My DD has already blown up the science lab once....She forgot that baking soda and vinegar causes an explosive reaction.... She did get an a for the project though.

Ds is facinated by his teacher. The teacher is young, alternative, and loves the same stuff my son does. I think he'll do well this year. (they know better than to give him chemicals, thank heavens)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ours started the 10th and my littlest one has been sick ever since and now DH and me are both sick, but the peace and quiet sure is nice :dance:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My DS7 and DS11 started homeschool almost 3 weeks ago. They did school for 2 weeks and now they are at camp for a week. Then it will be school for 2 more weeks and then we will go to the water park for Labor day and then 3 weeks after that we are off on vacation for almost 2 weeks.

School is going well. DS11 really likes Latin. They start Spanish classes in Sept. Busy, busy, always busy.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Mine start back the 5th.. and i think they are ready, my oldest says No.. but towards the end of Aug It's getting to time to go back :) I still need to get backpacks, lunch boexes, shoes, school supplies.. *sigh*

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
Proud to say my baby goes off to college in a couple of weeks and the older one graduates college in December (out in 3 1/2 years woo-hoo and I can proudly say with NO DEBT for me or for her). Nothing better than the feeling of satisfaction that I raised both of them, kept my sanity, and am looking forward to the empty nest. Or at least until older one comes home but she cleans and dusts without asking LOL!! She'd be welcome in most homes LOL!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm with you Melissa..shorter summers would be nice. My 2 start back the 29th. Jonah is going into preschool and is almost 5 and he is driving me CRAZY saying "It's boring here..it's boring in Pennsylvania!!". I'm not exactly sure why he thinks Pennsylvania is boring..he has never lived anywhere else. Goofy kid. When I ask him if he would like me to find him something to do he says "No..everything is boring". I think he is just so excited about preschool everything else pales in comparison!

Anita- that's kind of neat the way you do homeschool..couple of weeks..break..couple of weeks. God Bless any of you that can homeschool...I thought about it but to be honest I need the break...I am an older mother and I can tell you I really look forward to my baby being in preschool 2 1/2 hrs a day for 3 days a week. I keep imagining all the cleaning and canning I can get done!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cricket said:
My DD has already blown up the science lab once

HeeHee...sounds like me when I was in school!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SoINgirl said:
Ours started the 10th and my littlest one has been sick ever since and now DH and me are both sick, but the peace and quiet sure is nice :dance:

Take it easy and get lots of rest..hopefully you will get better soon and get to enjoy that peace and quiet!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Selena said:
the older one graduates college in December (out in 3 1/2 years woo-hoo and I can proudly say with NO DEBT for me or for her).

Wow...that is AWESOME. Not an easy thing to do in this day and age. You both should be very proud. Good luck to the soon to be college grad-- Make your momma proud!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Our one and only DS (5) started Kindergarten yesterday. When the bus picked him up we jumped in the truck and made a mad dash for the school to make sure all went well and to get some pictures :rolleyes: . Lots of parents milling about, but we were the only ones I noticed with a camera. Oh well, he'll only be a Kindergartener once (we hope :) ), and we want to have keepsakes.
I picked him up after school and wanted to ask a hundred questions, but all he wanted to discuss was, what we were having for dinner. When I asked what his favorite part of the whole day was he said, lunch. He had his tonsils and adnoids removed 2 years ago and has become a healthy (finally), growing, eating machine.
He finally talked about a few school things, but pretty much acted as though it was just another day at the office.
He did get out of bed and dressed rather snappy this morning so we know he
likes it. He's an easy going, go with the flow sorta guy and seemed to have had a good day.
He was VERY tired and went to sleep, about the time his head touched the pillow.
Can't wait to hear what happened today. If he doesn't come home with some good stories pretty soon I guess we'll just have to throw some frogs in his book bag for the teacher! :dance:

Cindy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Finally all 3 of our kiddies actually like school! Everyone comes home with a smile and my youngest (6th grade) said school is good.......lol high praise from that one! The other 2 are in 7th and 9th grades. My oldest is actually very excited and talking about all the activities she wants to be in......even excited about 4H! She disliked it very much last year......lol So good to see them all so enthused :)

·
Living in the Hills
4,537 Posts
We start Monday. I had to get quite firm with them today and tell dd & ds that, NO, they couldn't start their math early! Their older sister has been sneaking the history books. I think they are all ready to go!

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Thanks for letting me gripe! Our small exurban school is sweet and nice to have DD14 and DD6 same bus/school. HOWEVER.

First- DD14 took the computer course in 7th grade, teacher acknowledges he has nothing new to teach her, superintendent letter, not to take it. Enrolled in it. Open house before school starts we dance about getting her into- nothing. No good course she can take, so she gets to study German on her own with our help for homework 1.5 hrs/day (4 classes a day) until Oct when she will rejoin class for the humanities last half of computer course. Sorted thank goodness!

Second- Yesterday after 4 days school made me aware "So you wouldn't hear elsewhere" that the ag turf course was a bunch of 11/12 grade boys sitting around doing nothing (might be too hot this week for them to work in the garage on lawn mower repair and only one child at time can run lawn mower),teacher released her to work school canteen "I am learning cash register and food prep- might learn fryer...." Not feeling she should get training to work at McD's (they'll give it to her there when she works there, no?) dashed in today since work finished early enough and ta daa! GOt her into 10th grade honors chem.

All in all she will run out of classes to take at this high school by 12th grade if not before. AL school of Math and Science is tempting but far off (Mobile). We'd really miss her. Unsure if we'll even have her apply. My review just now of the two big city high schools near us- they supposedly (of course they also supposedly have Japanese...) actually HAVE AP classes, art, more than one computer class. Will ask her to consider changing over to one of them for 12th grade classes- do not really want to have to drive her there daily next four years but one year (or even her drive herself if we have another car) would beat having to pay for/commute to college classes just because local school has run out of classes. Yes, I know, I should home school.. too lazy.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My kids are starting cyber school this year. It will be all new to us. They have been public schooled up until now. We were going to atart this week but they have not gotten them into the system yet. Hopefully we will be starting. They are pretty excited. They had so many choices for each subject. I think it will be good for them. I will miss my alone time but if they are happier doing this than I am all for it. The happier they are, the better they will do, and the happier I will be! Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
School started for our kids yesterday. I have to admit that I love summer with the kids home. Our youngest school age kids are in first grade they both love it. Our next is in sixth grade and not sure if he likes it or not. Our oldest is in 8th he wants the year to be over so that he can go to high school next year. Our two little ones won't start school for a few years they are 1 an 2 years old.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
3 Daughters in high school with A's in almost every subject!
(Brag, brag, brag, brag, brag!)
We think that may be due to the years with no T.V. Now that we do have one, it is off more often than not while the girls are doing other (constructive) things.

·
Registered
271 Posts
:flame: School .... My oldest started kindergarten on the 9th. Monday she had a little cough. Tuesday she had a runny nose. Wednesday(took her to the doc, because of fever) she has acute broncihottis with a touch of pnenmonia. Thursday (Today) I have 101.7 fever. I nurse my newborn, so I called my doc, now I have to take medicine too. My daughter has 2 medicines she has to take, along with breathing treatments every 6 hours. and cannot return back to school :flame: until Monday. As you might be able to tell I'm not pleased with school. Why do parents send their kids to school sick? It's like it just snuck up on me. I didn't send her to school because of the fever and was just taking her to the doctor to get an excuse for school because my SIL told me that schools are getting pickier about school excuses, that anyone can say that their child is sick and that they aren't as likely to excuse her absence if she gets sick a lot this year. That it being her first year her immune system isn't going to be used to all the new germs she's going to come in contact with. Since she has already had a child go through Kindergarten I took her advice and took her to the doctor. MY jaw hit the floor when he said she might have pnemonia that I need to take her to the hospital for chest x-rays and lab work. My advice to parents at this point would be to teach your kid not to touch any other kid, carry a bottle of germX with them just in case, and a can of Lysol to spray their area everyday. not seriously but :flame: :flame: :flame: I need to stop here before I break a rule about profanity.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
We start homeschool on Monday. 6th grade.Ds says he's not ready but I'm ready to have a bit more structure to our days. We just got his test results and he's doing great. This year he wants to learn blacksmithing. Our town's very artsy and has courses in that so I guess I'll enroll him.

I know how you feel S.A.J. The two years he was in private school ( kindergarten and 1st grade) we stayed sick! Bronchitis, pneumonia.
I could guarantee that after every break or holiday we would be at death's door within a week of him starting back. Glad we don't have that to look forward to anymore. Can't remember the last time we had colds. I think it was about 4 years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.