How are you all liking the forum?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by justgojumpit, May 15, 2004.

How would you rate his forum, overall?

1. excellent!

2. good

3. alright

4. not so great

5. down-right horrible!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some feedback on what you think about this forum so far. is there anything we can do better? Please leave your vote on the poll and add any other comments as you feel appropriate. thank you,

justgojumpit

old school likes this.
  2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

i like what i am seeing so far, the biggst thing i would like to see more on would be the africanized issues and the mites, those are some of the major things facing beekeepers today., of course i would like to see more positive response but its been great so far. thanks for pushing for this link.

3. justgojumpit

i'm glad you're enjoying the forum. feel free to post your questions about mites and africanized issues. i'm sure there are people here who are more than willing to help you out. Myself included ;) also post any other questions about topics you'd like to see discussed. so far all but one post has been replied to, so you have a pretty good chance here

justgojumpit

4. rwjedi

rwjedi Member

I like this forum. I only wish there was more activity. Then again 50 posts a day wouldn't be enough for me. :)

Rod

old school likes this.
  5. justgojumpit

rwjedi, i too wish there were more activity on this forum. any ideas that could help us out???

6. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

This forum has encouraged me to try beekeeping again. The first time failed due to lack of planning, but I enjoyed having the bees so much, even though we got very little honey.

7. justgojumpit

hi leon, welcome to the forum! Also welcome to rwjedi! i hadn't noticed your number of posts till now. This forum has been growing quickly over the past few weeks, especially as the rate of growth increases due to new members like yourselves. Leon, I'm glad you've decided to get back into beekeeping. Perhaps, when you do get started back up, you might enjoy working with a top-bar hive as well? I personally find this to be the most enjoyable hive to work with, although i also have two langstroth hives for the diversity, ablilty to sell splits, and extractablility of honey, instead of comb crushing. there is a post here on the forum pertaining to top-bar hives if you're interested.

justgojumpit

8. Ky gal

Ky gal Well-Known Member

Although I have never raised bees, I've been reading these post learning what it's all about.

First of all, I'm scared of being stung! I've been stung a few times in my long life, but I just can't seem to get past the idea of all those bees being so durn close to me. I'm sure they could catch me.

Anyway, knowledge is power. And this forum has great people willing to tell their storys, share their knowledge, help those of us who are scared but willing, and those that take the time to post pictures. I love pictures

Maybe some day when there's extra money to be had, I will already be prepared with the knowledge gained from these post to finally began the odyssey into beekeeping.

9. justgojumpit

ky gal, welcome to the forum! I'm glad to know that you are interested in beekeeping. Let me tell you first that the first four or five stings are the worst (for me anyways). after that you become desensitized to the venom. Two days ago i removed a swarm from a tree and got stung three times, all of which were my fault. once i brushed my arm up against the swarm, another time i squashed a bee between my leg and the ladder, and the last time a bee crawled up in my pant leg and stung my shin. keep in mind that i was 50 feet up in a tree at the top of a ladder. :haha: i got stung again twice today :rolleyes: i'm just a little itchy from one sting. keep also in mind that you won't get stung every time you open the hives. i had just finished mowing the lawn, and the bees were irritated by the exhaust in my clothes. Now i have been sting a total of maybe 15 times since may 8th, when i got the bees.

Also, for about $700 you can get fully set up with two hives, some extra woodenware, bees, and a small extractor, plus all of the other supplies you need, like a smoker, veil, hive tool, etc. all you need is an hour each weekend to open them up and have a look.

justgojumpit

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We love this forum....DH rarely goes on the computer but I will find him down here reading the Beekeeping forum. He has been a beekeeper for 30+ years and was an inspector in MI,too. So quite a bit of experience...when he opens a hive he makes it look so simple...the bees hardly even notice he is there!! He is determined to get me into a beesuit but I'm such an allergic person..but maybe! DEE

11. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

I've stopped in a time or two to read but haven't posted here before. I used to have honeybees a few years ago. I still love to read about them.

Bob

12. beebiz

beebiz New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I like what I have seen so far. I've looked and have been able to find only a few forums that are dedicated to "beekeeping," and fewer still that have more than a handful of members. I'm still in my infancy (beekeeping wise... I'm 45 chronologically) and need to learn as much as I can from a lot of different people. So, I'm tickled to death when I find a forum that has more than 10 or 12 members!

Keep up the good work,
    beebiz

13. WayneH

WayneH Active Member

Hi. I'm new to the forum also. Been reading for a little while though.

Beekeeping is like boxing in one respect. You can't be a boxer unless you come to terms with the fact that you're going to get hit. In beekeeping, you go into it knowing that you're going to get stung. The first couple stings, for me anyway, pack a pretty good punch. But after that, well.....they just sting!

If you're in Northern KY, I could introduce you to one of my hives and at least you'll have someone there to keep you from running away! LOL

It's very humbling when a creature that weighs about a gram can send a 160 lb man into a panic! That happened when one managed to get inside my veil!

14. busy homestead

busy homestead Well-Known Member

I am very interested in Bee keeping but at this point am just reading and
    learning. Sorry but dont have any info to add for anyone.

Thanks for the info I have found on here and keep up the good work. :)

Christina
    athome in South Dakota

15. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

My neighbor and friend has had bees all his life. He doesn't fear stings, but he does fear computers. I've printed off some of the threads here for him and he's enjoying it.

Good job, jumptoit.

Ray

16. Farside

Farside New Member

I'm new here also; as a matter of fact, this is my first post on this site. I'll spend the next few days reading through the info here, and maybe I'll glean enough knowledge to ask some intelligent beekeeping questions.

17. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

I have really been enjoying reading all the posts even though I am not a beekeeper in the true sense----Instead we are bee landlords. A local commercial operation has been putting hives on our property (next to the alfalfa fields, of course!) for many many years. And we get paid with 60 lbs of lovely raw alfalfa-clover honey every August. Of which I use every drop in baking, yogurt, tea etc and could NOT do without. I also read all the bee keeping memoirs I can. Favorite are the books by Sue Hubbell, but a few new ones have come out in the last year that I also found fascinating. We love seeing and hearing the "girls" in the lilacs, apple trees and hollyhocks. Never stung by a bee in the 35 years I've lived here. (Wish I could say the same for yellow jackets!) I think you folks with your own hives are great and I will just keep lurking and listening iin on your posts.

18. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

What I'd like to know is why we don't come up with africanized mites?

19. Ralph Roces

Ralph Roces Member

I love the forum. Period

20. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be here too long...
    The dang bees just wont leave me alone.