How are the Allison Automatic Tranny's and Late model Chevys

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shelbynteg, Jul 22, 2004.

1. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

We're biting the bullet, and buying a late-ish model diesel one-ton. I have been looking for a standard transmission, but am wondering what the real story is on the Allison transmissions, and are they all automatic? I have a Chevy 3/4ton with 250k miles on it that is a champ, but we've now put 3 transmissions in it, because we pull a lot of feed/hay/big trailers.

Also, I got nervous looking at the quality reviews on the 2000/2001 chevy one tons, really looking average, and I don't want average, I want reliable!!

Set aside your prejudices, and give me the straight scoop here on the 2000 - 2002 Chevy/GMC and specifically the Allison transmissions.

Regards,

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The Allison Automatics are now a decent tranny to use, the first truck types in the 70-80's were junk. coulda bought 2 macks with them old style trannies but they would not hold up. now the newer ones are decent. the old style 6 speed automatica were great .used in the industrial type equiptment.just use a large external cooler and a external bypas filter system to extend the life and use a quality product in it .Such as LUCAS trans OIL ,its not cheap to replace a allison tranny, but with the proper maitinance the will last years.

3. The Chevy/GMC is no better or worse than a compatible Ford or Dodge. All have good points and all have flaws. Even the Tundra is not without its share of problems and it is not compatible in size and power to a domestic 1-ton pickup. If you are looking for a dully, your best bet would be a used Mitsubishi Fuso or Iveco cab over truck. These are great little trucks and will outlast a Superduty 2 to 1 but they aint cheap and they are not pickups.
    Not too sure about the reliability of the new Allison trany or the duramax but you will probably have a rough time trying to find a used truck with this trany especially if you are looking for the 8.1L gasser. You might check out the diesel page (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/) and see if you can find some info in the forum area. Good Luck

4. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

In-laws neighbor has an '01 Chevey with the Allison tranny and LOVES IT. Says that it will pull anything. He uses his truck to pull camper and horse trailers. Also uses in his construction business on the side. Told me it has never been in the shop except to repair body damage that he caused. You can tell this guy is hard on his vehicles. For 72,000 miles, never being in the shop speaks loudly about excellent reliability.