How are alpines?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tinetine'sgoat, May 4, 2006.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We have a chance to buy an alpine doe with twins on her side, 1 buck and another pregnant doe for 200 dollars. I have never milked an alpine or had any dealings with them, our milk goat dealings have all been with lamanchas and nubians. How are they for temperment and kidding? If they get rave reviews we will more than likely get them, but I need some first hand input before we buy them.

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I have 13 Alpine Does, 2 Bucks and 2 Wethers. I wouldn't trade them for anything. They're opinionated, definately, but very sweet when they want to be. Good milkers; good kidders (although you'd think Mermaid was going to die for certain by listening to her scream). IMHO - buy them!

Ruth

3. Doeseatoats

Doeseatoats Active Member

The other thing you need to consider they are a product of their environment. Were they bottle raised kids. Have they been taken care of....I love mine.

They have trates but just like people they are all individuals.

That is a good price I would go for it, you can't loose

L

4. moosemaniac

Oh yeah, they're easy to bribe with peppermint flavored horse treats too.

Ruth

5. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

LOL!! I'm wondering too, would they have any problem being bred to a boer buck? We are planning on using the kids for meat, the next go around if they can be bred to a boer.

6. moosemaniac

I have two boer/alpine cross doelings. They're adorable. Their ears will floor you!

Ruth

7. rich2748

rich2748 Well-Known Member

Alpines have the best personality of all the goat breeds. They are quieter than the Nubian, more agressive than the Saanen and Lamanacha, nosier than anything. They also are the very best escape artists. They have the size that should easily handle being bred to a Boer. We have had all breeds except Lamancha and Tog. We wouldn't get rid of the Alpines but would part with any of the others first, especially the Nubian.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've had Nubians and Alpines. The Alpines talk the most, but the Nubians were the loudest. The Alpines are lap goats, easy tempered, easy to milk. (mine, anyway! Well, one has trouble letting down, but we're working on that)

I bred to a Boer, and both my Alpines produced perfect twins with no trouble (both first fresheners) and are good moms.

Meg

9. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I am in complete agreement with rich2748. My little alpine mix is exactly like he states. If somebody is going to get out it is usually her.She also checks the gate to make sure it is locked.(Doesn't hut to try! LOL) Gabby is a sweetheart when she wants to be and is really a very nice girl, she is due about the 13th.
    I would buy another alpine anyday.

10. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I had 2 reg alpines that were WITCHES! HAHA! Then I have one who isn't reg and she is the first one out. THe other 2 were just such bullies I was afraid of them causing miscarriages cause of the hard blows. Heidi the unreg one is just annoying cause she gets out and in the SMALLEST of spaces! I have saanens and love them but for $200 for the group that sounds good if they're in really good condition and have been cared for. That's just MHO though so go with your gut I guess.

11. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I have two alpines and love them! They do have wonderful personalities! They are like little puppy dogs and follow you anytime you are in the field. My older alpine thinks she is my guardian and she runs off the australian shepherd because she thinks she is protecting me! :rolleyes: I also breed mine to our boer buck.