How accurate are ligaments?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

As of last night, 9 p.m., my doe's ligaments are gone. I checked a few times yesterday, and the right dissappeared before the left. But now they are both gone. I thought when ligaments are gone, you have around 12 hours before labor starts. BUT, she has no other signs at all, as of this morning. I've been checking for discharge, mucus, change in behavior...nada. :confused:

Sooooo, what's up? I want to make sure I'm there, but I have to work today & tommorrow. Will it be soon? Why no discharge? Any help, encouragement would be greatly appreiciated. Although, maybe there's nothing to do but wait? Thanks!!

Tricia

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Mine don't have a discharge until labor. But every doe is different.
    sounds like she is ready. I would think in the next day or two,. but have had some go a week, so we will have to see. but it will be soon.

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I would say they are a good indication but not fool proof.
    My last doe had such soft ligs for several weeks that I thought they were gone but the day she kidded I could touch my fingers together around her tail in that area. She kidded two hours later.
    One doe had tight ligs right up till she started labor.

4. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

It has been a good indication of labor within 12 hours for my does so far. However, all of these labor signs do not apply to every doe. Some does just dont show any signs or will show the signs weeks ahead of time. It is frustrating, and that is why I like knowing the exact date a doe is due. That way it gives me more of an idea. They like to keep us guessing!