how about an online homesteading Magazine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nwbound, Jan 14, 2007.

1. nwbound

nwbound Romans 11:36

I've been reading about how people are kinda upset about the way that a few Magazines have evolved and a vast amount of people have decided not to continue buying them. I thought it would be great to come up with an online magazine that could remain free and have people write in just like countryside. I belive it could start out on a free webserver then if it became something bigger then maybe donations could be a way to get its own address. Everything would have to remain free for it to work. But i belive that it would really be helpful for homesteaders that are starting out and homesteaders that have done it for years and years. Anyone have a thought about it?

2. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me! Maybe it could be integrated with a forum like this one. Say with daily articles, indexed by subjects(threads). Of course the editor(s) would have lots of work.

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

This would be a neat idea... maybe more could put their thoughts on this thread and see where it goes...

Angie

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Certainly we've toyed with the idea. It would be terrific if it came under the HT banner but that's Chuck's domain. It'd be great to have a place where some of the detailed introductions people post or excellent How To's or even the funny sad and serious stories folks here have shared with us, could be hi-lited in a magazine format or??? More input would be most helpful!

5. nwbound

I agree it doesn't make much since to keep getting Magazines that cost just to share stories,ideas, and how to's. I'd be willing to spend alot of time getting this project off the floor and love to work with any and everyone.

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I'm setting here trying to figure out if my hosting service would work for this. I have unlimited hosting so it wouldn't cost me extra if I provided the space for this, but I'm not computer savvy enough to know if it would work.

7. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

One already exists - I don't think I can post it here though.

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The idea would be to make one that was part of HT. Sure there's plenty of online magazines or blogs where these sorts of stories are shared. There's other homesteading bulletin boards too. I'd be interested in the link, unless you know Chuck or the other sites admin would object to this link in particular. Good of you to consider such!

9. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

I don't see the advantage. I published a magazine ("The Flash") for ten years. What we have on homesteadingtoday.com and the web is better than a magazine. Stepping back to a magazine format doesn't seem advantageous. A magazine also requires a lot of central editing. A forum is a distributed system and happens a lot faster. Add Google to that and you have the rest of the web which is a tremendous resource.

So, what is it about a magazine format, online or off line, that you find better than the forums?

10. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Actually, I consider this forum my main "homesteading" magazine. :)
    I have hosted a journaling forum on another board for years and think we could benefit from something on that order here. Maybe a separate part of the forum for blogs (each person could have their own thread and blog on it) and a place for folks to post articles that they might like to write that would be more detailed then what they might in a thread. I occasionally participate on another forum that has a subforum for folks to write stories. People would need to be courteous enough to leave other peoples's theads alone or it could be a moderating nightmare. Ultimately it would have to be a Chuck and MeanDean decision as they know about bandwidth and all that stuff that I am clueless about.

11. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

An index to various homesteader blogs would probably be simple enough if somebody would keep it updated.

12. nwbound

highlands ,

You are missing my point. I wasn't suggesting to have a published on paper type magazine. My suggestion was for it to be completely online. Yes the forums are a great place to talk and meet people and hear live stories. I was thinking of something completely free to whomever decides to use it and for everyone that has anything to do with homesteading to be able to write in and tell about what they have done, how it worked, and what they would change about it. Without other people getting on and turning the thread,or just being plain rude about it. The reason i posted it here on HT is because it is my favorite place on the web and i know that alot of people here are true to life.
    Like i said it is just an idea and would like to know everyone's point of view and opinion on the matter. Thanks for yours

13. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a part of the forum for homesteader's blogs, each homesteader blog getting a thread. But maybe having it a locked thread that only that homesteader can 'edit' and add onto, and no one can post anything in response to it in order to prevent it from becoming a moderator's nightmare.

14. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

Ross .... I am not sure if they would object to me posting the link . I would think it would be alright .
    Here it is .... if they don't want it here they can delete it I guess .
    http://www.homestead.org/index.html

15. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

How about a homesteading wiki? I would be glad to install wiki software on my server for that.

16. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

As someone who has subscribed to both Countryside and ME - I really find that Homesteading Today very satisfactory. Someone will always ask that question that you really needed to, but couldn't remember or didn't even know you needed to know that AND - someone will usually answer pretty quickly - of course you will usually have to wade through a lot of "stuff" to find the RIGHT answer, but someone will come through.

17. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

We haven't been on HT long, but it is better than any of the magazines you mentioned and we get MEN, Backwood Home and Countryside. We have learned so very much from you all, enjoyed the humor and some of the heartwarming stories and have been excited with you and sad when your hearts ache. Actually, HT is the best thing, computer wise, that we have found. You all feel like kindred spirits to us. :baby04:

18. nwbound

so do we want a free online mag or not?

19. diane

diane Well-Known Member

20. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

I like the idea -- just need a name for it! Any suggestions? If I can get a decent name, will try and have it up this weekend or next week, all that will be needed then is people to write articles of intrest i.e. how to do it! Pictures accepted as well of course. Will put in a classifieds section if wanted, no forum tho -- strictly articles on doing! I dont want to be doing the Mods job -- its too thankless!!! lol