how a two hour task becomes a two week task

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

This is from last summer, but I made it into a web page and thought I would share:

http://www.richsoil.com/typical/index.jsp

My first year on the farm, any trivial hour long task ended up taking weeks. We figure that the longer we work, the more realistic the time frame will be for things to get done.

2. kygaloot

kygaloot Member

I estimate how long I think the job should take then I go to the next order of time magnitude, and then I double it.

example:

Time estimate = 2 hours
    Increase order of magnitude = 2 days
    Double it = 4 days

3. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

The problem is that in order to do one thing, two or three others need to be completed. And then if you need something from the hardware store! :eek:

I wanted to clean out the garage - but the stuff belonged in the barn. The barn was surrounded by blackberries. I cleared the blackberries, now the path to the barn is a sea of mud, I bring in old carpet and cover with bark chips, now the barn roof leaks so I tarp one side and put a new roof on the other side, then it's winter and pouring rain!!!!

Well, maybe next year I will get the garage cleaned out. ;-)

4. Running Wild

Running Wild Well-Known Member

Paul-- I enjoyed your website. And what you say is soooo soooo true. Every little project takes so much longer than anticipated--days, weeks and sometimes even months longer in our case! :rolleyes:

5. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    How that happens here is if I have hubby to do it(or wait for him to do it and then it's a lot longer than 2 weeks!) :haha: :haha: :haha:

6. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

Oh boy, I get to hop on my favorite soapbox!

One cannot stress the importance of regular maintenance. By scheduling in time to periodicly take a look at things, you prevent many many more problems from happening. Once you get caught up ( a daunting task to be sure), youve got it licked.

7. Chuck123

Chuck123 Well-Known Member

Oh Paul, that is too funny. My husband knows too well how that goes and got quite a chuckle. We enjoyed the rest of your website as well. :)

electronrider- That's all absolutely true in theory, but for the time poor, there are only so many hours in the day, so all too often the reg. maint. gets neglected....sad but true.

8. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

I've found that happening to me less and less as time goes by.

Almost 2 years ago I had only just bought my first house and I had just bought what seemed like every tool I could need all at once to fix it up. Everything I did took weeks. But over time I amassed more and more specialized tools and skills in the various trades. And I hoarded scraps of materials, extra plumbing bits, electrical doo-dads, spare lumber, sheets of plywood and OSB, Simpson brackets, etc.

Now most things go a lot faster. I've got almost everything I could need in the house or the shed (if I can find it). Most of the time I was wasting before was on figuring out how to do something the right way or locating and getting materials. It took about 4 months to redo our main bathroom last year. Then we decided to do the other one and it took us a total of about 6 hours to do a job that wouldn't look entirely out of place in a decorating magazine.

Of course if there's beer in the house and a good book I'm back to 2 weeks for a 30 minute job...

-Jack