Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts?? If they set up a "national food policy" and it doesn't work like they think then what?

The food system and the diet it’s created have caused incalculable damage to the health of our people and our land, water and air. If a foreign power were to do such harm, we’d regard it as a threat to national security, if not an act of war, and the government would formulate a comprehensive plan and marshal resources to combat it. (The administration even named an Ebola czar to respond to a disease that threatens few Americans.) So when hundreds of thousands of annual deaths are preventable — as the deaths from the chronic diseases linked to the modern American way of eating surely are — preventing those needless deaths is a national priority.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...37f-11e4-836c-83bc4f26eb67_story.html?hpid=z2

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Law of Unintended Consequences says this would be a terrible idea. Also, you can't legislate or regulate people into caring about the environment, health or nutrition. You can try to force them to do the right thing via laws and fines, but if they don't care, they'll just find a way around it. Educating people doesn't seem to work either, witness "Just Say No" and the D.A.R.E. program.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
We need less government in our live.. we don't need them telling us what to eat when and how...

As Jim pointed out, any time the government tries to step up to "help" us, you just need to look around to realize they don't want to help, but they are looking for more ways to get their hands on our money...

Control = cash..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If someone wants to eat healthy, non GMO, gluten free, and whatever else they have come up with - I say more power to them. If they want ME to eat that crap - you better have a lot of firepower and some restraints. I don't mind people choosing to eat whatever type of diet they want. But they have absolutely no right to try and force me into eating it.

I do agree with government subsidies being complete disaster though. They have that going for them. Except instead of wanting less government control, they just want different government control.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Oh if they try to take my bacon I WILL come out shooting. Guaranteed.
Naw the way the Gov will do it is impose strict regulation on hog farmers raising the price way up then a health tax to boot when you buy it . Growing your own un safe hogs will be kin to printing your own money in the eyes of the law . We got to get inline for the growing demand for Sharia law :thumb:

·
Registered
229 Posts
If someone wants to eat healthy, non GMO, gluten free, and whatever else they have come up with - I say more power to them. If they want ME to eat that crap - you better have a lot of firepower and some restraints. I don't mind people choosing to eat whatever type of diet they want. But they have absolutely no right to try and force me into eating it.

I do agree with government subsidies being complete disaster though. They have that going for them. Except instead of wanting less government control, they just want different government control.
*Considers the from-scratch beef veggie soup, cornbread, panna cotta, and hot chocolate we're having for supper, all of which is healthy, non GMO, and gluten free…. and gets feathers severely ruffled.* I beg your pardon. That is not crap. That's good, whole food.

But I absolutely agree with you on your right to not have it forced down your throat, ditto your stance on subsidies, etc.

That said, I really do think people who regularly eat of these foods - like the novelty 10,000 calorie fat burgers enveloped in donuts (who'd do that to a good burger or a good donut???) - should have to sign a waiver saying they won't hold the rest of us responsible for paying their medical bills for their poor food choices.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
Hey govt, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY PLATE!!! Now if nutrition was taught in public school I wouldn't object. Offering school kids a healthy tasty lunch instead of just corn dogs and chicken nuggets, I wholly support. Instead of giving kids cereal or donuts for their "free" breakfast, offer them omelets or other wholesome food.

Think about it, children have been suffering from health problems since the public school system stopped serving nutritious and delicious well-cooked meals. It all goes back to education. They don't know any better because their parents weren't taught any better.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
One fact remains this is about a way to get money and control and keep the people from noticing what is going on :sing: You really think the Gov. care if you live or die . In what few years I have left i'm going to eat and drink what I darn well please .:thumb: No one is getting off this rock alive it is just about keep control while they can . :hammer:

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Don't get me started on school lunches! They have to follow the guidelines now in place thanks to Michelle Obama. The kids hate it! It may be healthier for them, but if they aren't eating it, it's not helping them. Instead they are going home hungry where they eat twice as much garbage because they didn't get lunch. Sooooooo much food is thrown out at school it is crazy. At the middle school & high school they have a line which has Little Debbie's, chips, & pop of all things. If they don't like the lunch they can go through that line. Does that make any sense at all??

Nothing the government does makes sense, especially when they push garbage like this through!

·
Rocky Mountain Deserts
674 Posts
You want me to trust the government to decide what is healthy for me to eat? :yuck: Because large corporations don't spend money lobbying for things like preservative that are bad for us, outlawing or limiting access naturally occurring chemicals that have been safely used for food preservation for hundreds of years (saltpeter case in point), regulating if we can or can not grow our own vegetables in urban areas. Does this idea remind anyone of obamacare? We see how well that is working out!

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
Give a child a choice between a plain apple and a dish of apple cobbler and most will take the apple cobbler. Blueberry pie with ice cream or a bowl of plain blueberries, the child will usually take the pie. Vegetable soup with a little meat or a plain salad, most will take the soup, especially if it smells good. That is the entire problem. Schools don't "cook" anymore. They import packaged meals which are reheated on site. I saw the changes when my kids were in elementary school. Our school did away with their "kitchen" and cooks just to save a few bucks. Real meals are more labor intensive than setting out a tray of chicken nuggets and a box of whole apples. Just think about it, you pay a couple bucks for your child's lunch. The lunch program is required to be self supporting. That couple dollars must cover; equipment, electric, and personnel. We do it at home without thinking about it but there is a lot of work involved in preparing a meal. From cleaning the produce to washing the dishes and mopping the floors after involves quite a bit of time. Unfortunately the public school system does not value nutritious lunches more than the bottom dollar. But if schools did offer well prepared lunches, they would cost quite a bit more. Parents are already complaining about the cost of $2 a day to feed their child. They sure won't accept paying the $5 that well prepared meals would actually cost. The only alternative is for parents to fix the meals themselves. Not going to happen in the day of single parent or dual income households.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm hooked into e-mails from Marjory Wildcraft and she pointed out something I hadn't heard. For the first time in history our children's generation will Not live as long as our generation. Her comment came from a New York Times article.http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/17/health/17obese.html?_r=1& ....EDIT-OH This article says the same thing.OOOPS.(sorry)
What does this mean for future generations?
No great grandparents and then no grandparents....:Bawling: I certainly agree that food should not be regulated though!!! It's all about the liberty of choice.People Must learn for themselves,over time,and seeing the consequences of what over eating poor food does. I Chose 5 years ago to grow as big a garden as I could and do it organic as much as possible(not 100% hard core though) and to cut down on animal fat and processed junk for our aging health(again not 100%). It's not bacon,which is "real" food, it's all the altered and overprocessed food with no nutrients,substitutes like chemical sweeteners, and the ratio people eat of carbs and fat to vegies and fruit.I don't consider cobbler "bad" or Anything home made "bad"or even anything out there in reasonable amounts with alternating fresh food as terribly "bad".The majority of Americans just don't know How to eat reasonably.Our grandparents ate all kinds of fat and carbs but they worked hard and kept more fit too.

·
Premium Member
25,255 Posts
The govt does tell people what to eat. It's called the "Food Pyramid". It ain't working! As long as they give recommendations and not mandatory dietary restrictions.....

I would prefer we just go back to the 4,4,3,2 routine. At least there was a nice song to go with it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts