Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my Llewellin setter suddenly started throwing up and having horrible whole body trembling...some sort of seizure! After a few minutes of the trembling not getting better, I called our Vet to see if anyone was still there (it was 5pm). "yup, bring her right in". so...off to the vet we go.

She can stand and walk...sort of, but I carry her in (all 60lbs of her) and she's just shaking like a huge bowl full of jello. Vet does an exam, her belly is really distended and sort of filling with gas or something, her temp is at 103.5, pupils go from pinpoint to fully dilated instantly(not good) and her eyes are rotating rather wildly. He thinks at first seizure, or twisted stomach (well...there goes $2,000.00 for a surgery). He starts an IV with saline to replace the lost fluids and cool her down, also alcohols her pads to help cool her down. Then gives her valium thru the IV. after 5 minutes and the tremors are still there, he gives another shot of valium. Says to take her to the emergency vet service in Madison. (she needs blood workup and x-rays and a "hospital" setting)

sigh

so, off we go. Dog is now pretty much in lala land from all the valium, but you can still feel slight tremors and she's not focusing on much (doh!) We get to the hospital and they take her from me. "sorry, you'll have to stay out here. Doctor will come out to talk to you". :mad:

Dr thinks it looks more like the dog got into a toxin...they keep asking about the compost pile. I keep saying "we don't HAVE one". anyway. Dog stays at hospital overnight, they give activated charcoal, IV, sedative, muscle relaxer...bottom line, I pick her up this morning and she's back to normal! :banana02: I have heart palpitations when I see the bill (so much for that new set of tires for the tractor and the new dewalt cordless drill :rolleyes: ), but at least it's less than $500.

As we're walking out, the vet says "check on anything that might be moldy that she could have gotten...food, compost, dogfood...check the yard for mushrooms (er...we have snow on the ground and it's been below freezing for over a week). Then she says "people medication, too, can cause this. stuff like Sudaphed" BINGO! a light goes on..both Artificer and I have had horrible colds for a couple of weeks. We were both taking sudaphed and the last box of it went missing...had to go buy new box......

I found the box, minus the blister pack of pills, in back of the couch with obvious tooth holes in it.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Glad your dog is okay now. I read the post because it said Llewellen setter. I was a little surprised. I bought my husband one for our 20th anniversary from a guy nearby that breeds them. My son has met one other person that had one and he is actually from the same breeder even though he was quite a distance from here.

Most people have never heard of the breed and don't recognize it.

I don't know aobut the breed in general but as much as my husband wanted him to be Sam is NOT a house dog. He is just too hyper for that.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Glad to hear that she survived.

We have a 9 1/2 month old puppy in the house. This pup never chewed anything when he was little. I finally asked the vet when he was going to start teething cause he wasn't chewing our shoes, or anything, lol. She opened his mouth, took one look, closed it, and said "he's done- already has all his new teeth" doh! But, since then, he has gotten into the habit of picking up any and everything that is laying around. Doesn't even chew much now- mostly just steals things and carries them around. But, we are still being extra-vigilent, just in case.

About the compost pile- when our boy was maybe 5 months old we took him to a picnic that our local rescue group put on. The picnic was held in a park with a pond that the dogs could swim in. All of our dogs were in and out of it all day long. That was Sunday. On Tuesday night, Pup started throwing up. Took him to the vet on Wednesday morning and he was so sick that he needed iv's, antibiotics, and a bunch of other stuff I have forgotten. He was one very sick puppy. He pulled through it, but if we had waited to take him in the vet said he would have died. When one of our other RR's got sick, not as bad, but still sick, the vet thought there might have been something in the water at the pond. But no one else's dogs got sick so we were a little skeptical.

Turns out, as we later discovered, I had dumped a heavy layer of grass clippings on a path in the garden. The layer was really thick and the clippings started to mold/mildew instead of drying. Our big dog, and the puppy, both ate some of the grass clippings and that is what made them sick. I just could not keep them out of the clippings and wound up having to rake them all up and compost them.

We have never been able to keep our big dog (steroid boy) out of the compost bins, but after the grass clipping episode we finally fenced off the area where the bins are kept. Who would think a dog would be stupid eough to eat something slimy and toxic enough to kill it?

·
Driftin' Away
745 Posts
A person I knew had an outstanding puppy 2 points away from his Championship that ate 2 capsules of cold meds that fell into his crate at a hotel room. He died during the night.

Be VERY careful with cold meds!

Glad your dog turned out ok, just the pocketbook a bit worse for wear!

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the good thoughts :) She's still quiet this morning (VERY unusual)...just curled up sleeping under the computer desk, but she wakes up when I go for tea, and she went outside a bit ago to piddle.

WIHH, I used to raise Gordons. Got my start from a man who was leading a group who insisted they keep the hunting instincts in the breed when they showed. Great guy. Excellent dogs. Love those dogs, but I agree..that "I must chew and investigate that item no matter what it is" is definitely part of the setter thing!

countrysunshine: It's a shame that the English setter breed has been split into the two groups...but there ya go. One group of people who valued the hunting instincts and smaller size, another group who wanted a "show" dog with larger body/head and a longer coat. This girl looks a lot like a smaller version of the show dog. Very long coat which I have to keep oiled when we go out in the field.

Elizabeth, it never ceases to amaze me just WHAT dogs will find interesting and tasty. good lord....a blister pack? slimy grass clippings? (do we have an "eeeeewwwwwy" smiley?)

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oceanrose...omg! to have a dog just DIE like that...from something that you could have prevented maybe...I'd be a wreck. Who knew cold meds were so lethal? they (the vets) warn us about various hazards to animals...and I've been around vets and animals all my long life...but this is the first time I'd heard about cold meds being lethal. Truly a wake-up call.

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
My 9 year old BC X Lab got one of my inlaws' claritin last year and we had the same experience. Minus the bill. I work for my vet, thank goodness!! It's scary, isn't it? Glad yours made it through ok.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Wow Ann, I worry about that all the time, hence why all my "drugs" are kept in the bathroom drawers. Worry one of the cats may knock them off the table or something and our tri color cavalier eats ANYTHING. Example, mini snickers candy bars that my dad taped to our X-mas presents a couple years ago, went in whole, including wrapper and came out the same way, although not as "pretty"! He also eats Q-tips.

Hope your dog gets better.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
wow...sure am glad to hear he's ok!!!! good to know about the meds. we don't usually take anything, but you never know. it is strange what a dog will eat or chew on!

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
We have never been able to keep our big dog (steroid boy) out of the compost bins, but after the grass clipping episode we finally fenced off the area where the bins are kept. Who would think a dog would be stupid eough to eat something slimy and toxic enough to kill it?
You know, I'm probably going to get flamed for this. This kind of thing is exactly why I've always insisted that cats are smarter than dogs. I had a skye terrier years ago that was dumber than a box of rocks. My cats were laying in the Christmas tree and batting the ornaments and knocked one off the tree. I wasn't home and Abby (the dog) ate a glass ornament! By the time I came home she had left sparkly green puke puddles everywhere. If a dog will eat glass, they'll eat anything. My aunt had a dog that died of a bowel obstruction from eating her false teeth.

Here's a serious warning for dog owners though: My SIL's Westie died from eating boullion (sp?) cubes. The kind you flavor broth with. His salt levels were off the chart. He had seizures and then eventually coma. The vet tried to clean out his system, but there were some whole cubes in his stomach that were still dissolving. They couldn't get him clean. :eek:

:coffee: RedTartan

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Wow, so glad she is ok!!! Believe me, I understand the late night vet vigil and damaged wallet (lol). Glad all worked out well.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RedTartan...I'm positive cats are smarter than dogs. Have you ever watched a cat smack something off the table to the dog down below? dog eats item. Dog gets in trouble. Cat sits on table licking it's, er, paws.....smiling.

seriously...I think cats are probably less domesticated than most dog breeds. We had a dog that was raised (as a pup) wild. Smartest dog I've ever met. She never ate anything that wasn't actual food. No slimy clippings, no rat bait, no veggies ;) If it was meat or had meat in it...she ate it. period. She wouldn't go all crazy with new smells either....she'd get REALLY quiet, lay down in a crouch, and just sniff the air.

the boullion cubes...good god. I'd have NEVER thought about those. They smell of beef or chicken...and are almost pure salt. And it's common to get the package out of the cupboard and just leave it on the counter. ARGH!

good thing I don't have kids. I'd be so worried about what they could get into I'd be hospitalized.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
If a dog will eat glass, they'll eat anything.
hahaha.
Steroid Boy eats glass, too.

Last year someone gave me a few dozen old canning jars- some with food still in them. I stuck them out in the barn and forgot about them but apparently the chickens started roosting in the boxes and knocked some of the jars off the shelf onto the concrete floor below. I didn't know any of this, but one day Steroid Boy knocked to come in the back door and when I let him in I found a single drop of blood on the floor. Never found out where it came from. A couple of days later, he knocked and when I opened the door I saw a little bit of blood on his face. Again, could not figure out where it came from. A couple of days later I mentioned this to hubby. He got a weird look on his face and then told me about the jars. He said "you don't think he...." OF COURSE I think he got into the jars- they had FOOD in them, lol.
Then, a day or so later I was out in the yard cleaning up dog poop, and sure enough, I found a pile with glass shards in it. Oy vey!!!!

When I told my vet about it she cracked up laughing! (She has a sick sense of humor, lol). But she also knows how exasperating this dog is. He will eat ANYTHING. And apparently has a cast iron constitution (except for the moldy grass clippings). He has survived eating a box of chocolate, he survived eating a pound and a half of chocolate covered raisins, he survived two years of eating out of the compost bins, and now, the glass. I think we know have our entire house, yard, and barn dog-proofed. Although, as Steroid Boy finds new ways to get into trouble, we find ourselves scrambling to keep up with new security measures, lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts