Houston We Have A Problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Nov 24, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Snow and Satelite Service don't work :confused: .Snowing like all get out,go out sweep things off go back in wipe glasses off,get good signal,type a little bit,go back out sweep things off again.

Can't play on the Internet,can't watch what I want to on TV.

Well this should be interesting got to go back out and sweep. :rolleyes:

big rockpile

2. tbout

tbout Member

awww :waa: rockpile I sure hope you're keeping warm. down in the south we get snow once every 20 years. but the summers sizzle. so maybe think about the nice hot summers and all the skitters that we enjoy so much. Really hope you're safe and warm and with a full belly! T

3. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

WE have had warm days for a week 6o to 70 degrees It will be down to 30 degrees Fri Morning Brrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Use a garbage bag to make a shield the snow will fall off of

mikell

5. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Geez, just do it the easy way. Open the window, use your gun a shoot the snow off when needed.

6. big rockpile

Well I figured out Ice is building up on the Eye,just go out beat it off every so often.

I'm more worried about my wife,she has to work 10 hourse today.Then run our Son 12 miles out of her way,then 25 miles back home.Their blading off the Highway,but she still has a mile to drive back here that don't get bladed.

big rockpile

7. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Your wife DOES carry 50 lbs of Kitty Litter in the trunk in the winter, right? For increased purchase with the rear wheels and to use where she needs traction?

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

big rockpile where are you i forget, snowing here too and i go out each half hour with very long stick and knock snow off both dishes!

9. big rockpile

Grandmotherbear she has a Small pickup,she usally goes down to the creek and gets gravel and sand just hasn't this year.

sisterpine I'm in Southern Missouri.This won't last long,its suppose to get up in the 40's tomorrow.

big rockpile

10. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Time to make some hot cocoa and get out the board games!
    (If life hands you lemons, make lemonade! :) )

Kathleen

11. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

OK, admittedly a wild and crazy, hairbrained idea. Can you just wrap some heat tape, such as used around pipes, around the eye and post area and run an extension cord into a ground fault protected receptacle?

Ken Scharabok

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

They do make a heat tape for them,havent tried it.I can tell you the vinyl covers arent worth a darn,snow sticks to em real well.I put an umbrella over mine and it worked well,until it collapsed.Im thinkinking a wood 'roof over top of it,not obscuring view,is the answer.
    BooBoo

13. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I installed these for about 11 months and the best way we had to keep snow off was to spray a cooking oil on the dish faceing the eye. A light coating on a warm day will last all winter up here. Also you might try going in the menu to install and get to the signal strenght and run through the transponders to get the best signal strenght. And a note some transponders work best in storms and not best on sunny days, don't know why.
    You should regaurdless, have a strenght of 85 on a sunny day, with no clouds, and no trees or such in the line of sight. If not, get it re-aligned. The closer to 100 the better you get reception. A second thought, I only had maybe less then 8 installs out of over 850 that had 99 to 111 at the time of install. You paid for it. shadowwalker

14. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the cooking oil idea, got to try that one! My dish is way out in the field to get the right "view" and it's not fun to walk down there in knee deep snow, especially in the dark, with the kids yelling out the door that the tv isn't on yet, and you just know they have the door wide open.... lol.

Carla

15. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

No problems, No TV, No dish, and no snow, in northern British Columbia ( ... we do have a phone and dial-up, now).

Its been around plus twenty-five to plus fifty F, the last few weeks, very strange.

Don't worry, it will get cold (down to forty-below) and snow here.

We still won't have any trouble with a dish.

Good luck with yours, the spray cooking oil idea seems rather good - works?

Alex