houston.. we have a plug!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Apr 13, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

MY GOAT IS GOING TO KID SOON MY GOAT IS GOING TO KID SOON!

I didn't check her this morning but I checked her around noon. She has the mucus at the vulva opening. She did not have it yesterday. Her baby(s) have slowed down movement and the vulva was changing to quite a reddish pink color. I might say I was pretty discouraged and I almost didn't check her for mucus and jsut petted her awhile. BUT.. I decided to check and I did quite a dance after that.

Now.. How long from this point until birth? or does it horribly vary?? This will be her first kidding. Is labor obvious or could I not notice it? Will she inevitably do it at 2 am? tonight is the full moon :p

2. famer_manda

if it makes any difference.. shes a pygmy goat- 1y rold

3. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Ok, hate to burst your bubble but my doe showed mucus for a WEEK before she finally went into labor....just about killed me! I thought that mucus=imminent birth too, but the ding-dang gods of "teach-her-some-patience" made me wait (and it didn't work, I'm as impatient as ever). Just ticked me off and made me crab at my family a lot. I sure hope your doe is different. Good luck!

4. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

My Pygmy lost her plug last Thursday.. It has now been a week, and her ligs are still there. :(

Laura

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

My pygmy doe had a teeny bit of white discharge the day she went into labor, and that was the first of it. Also, when she layed down her vulva pooched out and dialated a bit. Watch her ligaments. When I noticed the discharge, I also noticed that she had no ligaments!

6. famer_manda

I have been trying to figure out ligaments for awhile. I just can't feel them and I dont think im a good ligament feeler ! lol. I do notice though that shes looking more sunken in. She looks a lot different even from yesterday. I also notice that shes eating a lot more hay today. It seems every time I peek my head out there shes eating and thats a little abnormal for her. She seems a lot more interested in what is giong on around the pen area too.

Im hoping for the next 24 hrs but if it draggs into a week? or worse- a month! Well.. im sure I am going to be very grumpy too LOL

7. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Mine ate and ate all morning the day she kidded.

Could see the plug about 11:30 am and she kidded at 2:18 pm the same day.

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate to tell you this, but one of my does shows white mucous off and on for a couple of weeks before delivery. Now, if you get long, thick, stringy stuff, you're in business.
    mary

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I'm still up at two am because I'm watching my BoerXOberhasli doe, who looks like she's working up to being in labor. I didn't go in to work today because I thought when I did chores this morning that it was going to be soon (I have a very flexible work schedule, only work a couple of days a week, and a very understanding boss :) well, he's a big-city guy so I'm not sure he really understands, but he lets me adjust my work schedule, anyway.)

I've already had a set of quads this year, and this girl is go big I'm afraid she might be carrying quads, too. I hope not, sigh. I'll have to go buy one of those bucket feeders, lamb-bar things, or whatever. Anyway, no mucus yet, she's really bagged up, ligaments down, puffy rear, pawing the bedding in the pen, up, down, up, down, breathing hard every so often -- and then she quits and dozes for a while. Reminds me of when I had my own babies twenty-something odd years ago. Ouch. And she walks funny -- it's not even like a pregnant woman's waddle (she's been doing that for weeks). She hitches one back leg stiffly forward, then the other, like it's painful to move them. Probably is if there's a baby in the birth canal.

Anyway, I'm going to get a couple of hours of sleep, and hope that my years of blessing hold up -- I've only twice had a doe kid at night, in all the years I've had goats.

Kathleen

10. famer_manda

well nothing so far. She has more mucus today and the color has changed a little . It isn't so white this time but rather like an off amber color but while its more than yesterday it isn't streaming either.

Yesterday i noticed her udders are HARD and not really soft like before.I notice the bag seemed to be closer to her hind legs now. They are right there at the legs so she stands a little differently now.

She tore some of the hay down and is laying on it instead of her usual spot. I think she just wants to get to more hay without having to get up and get it. Now she just lays there and eats and eats and eats. I hope she gives birth on Sunday.. It would be a nice treat on the holiday :) though obviouslyI would take it any day I can get it! Today works for me!! *goat labor vibes to everyone*

11. famer_manda

I had wondered if she had a little plug here and there for awhile because when I woudl check her it seemed like she had something dried there. But now its becoming more and more obvious so im hoping it means its soon. I sure wish I had a due date to look at.

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Sounds like she'll go soon -- let us know! I went to bed right after my last post (at 2 am) and got up again at 6:30 and went down -- she had one and was getting ready to have another. Ended up with three LARGE babies -- no wonder she's been big as a house for months! Two boys and a girl, which suits me fine, because I want the boys for packers, and the girl for a milker.

Oh, and she never did show me any mucus! They are all different!

Kathleen

13. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

4 hrs later....something must be happening.....! :goodjob:

14. famer_manda

I keep watching mine.. She must think im awfully rude to keep staring at her LOL. Now that it is nearing dark I am really hoping she will wait until tomorrow.. Early morning or about 5pm tomorrow. I dont want to sit in the hot afternoon sun staring into their shed.