Houston area goat farming class, wanna come?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sparticle, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Never posted in this forum before because I don't have goats yet. I've bought the book "natural goat care" and am planning them for next year. I want to learn all I can first. Anway, there's a "goat farming - urban income, rural lifestyle" class on July 13th and then July 16th the class goes out to a working goat farm. Anyone interested? Maybe not the best place to post, I'm sure you guys already know all about goats.

2. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

No matter how long you've rasied animals, you can always learn something new! Maybe a different way of doing something etc. Sure wish I could join you but it's a long way from there to Oregon! Let us all know how you make out!

3. drewjunr

drewjunr Member

I am interested please send me the information about this. Where it is held at, the times and cost per person. I have been reading the forums, websites and books and should be ready to start by August or September this year.

Thanks

4. Sparticle

It's July 13th & that following Sunday at the farm. It's $30. Their phone number is 713-529-4414. It's put on by the leisure learning center at 2990 Richmond #120 Houston TX 77098. Sorry I don't know the time, but I'm assuming Wednesday it's in the evening (that's their specialty) and am assuming Sunday is an all day thing. It's class number 9055D and the official title is "Goat Farming - Urban Income, Rural Lifestyle".

Let me know if you sign up and I'll look for you :)

5. goat mother

goat mother Active Member

Thanks For Posting This, I Live In Lufkin I Am Going To Call Today And Find Out Times. We Got Into Goats About 1 Year Ago. Still Learning Everyday It Seems At Times. My Kids Are In 4- H And That's How We Got Started. They Are Going To Use Our Kids This Year To Show.
    I Think This Will Be Agood Thing For My Older Son And I To Go To.
    Thanks
    Felica

6. Sparticle

Bump, it's this Friday.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would love to go and meet some of you folks but I got my Yankee cousins coming down for a week from New York. My cousin hasn't been here in 25 years and i have never met his wife and two kids. I will be showing them life on a Texas farm with goat milking, cattle ranching, horses, donkeys, poultry and lots of space. They will be visiting our Houston kinfolk first. Can't wait for them to ask what a LaMancha is or see a herd of donkeys and their babies running like nature intended in a big pasture.

Keep posting when these events and club meetings are, some of us (like me) only find out about them via the "interweb".

8. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the class, since my husband teaches it.:clap: Only problem with the summer class is the heat, so bring a hat, water and a chair! Look forward to meeting some of you.

9. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

I wish it were closer I would come if it were.

10. Sparticle

Awesome! but, I just noticed I put it's this Friday. I'm going to the Wednesday class, does he teach that one as well through leaisure learning center?

11. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Class is in two sessions -- Classroom Section is this Wednesday evening at the LLU classrooms on Richmond near Weslyan. Farm session is this Sunday afternoon at our place. Class is as follows:

Goat Farming—Urban Income, Rural Lifestyle
    Yes Virginia, it is possible to support your family with 50 goats on five acres. There have been a number of fads in the livestock farming industry. A few have worked but only for a short period of time. 80% of Texas' cattle ranchers report either break even or report a loss. Goats, the world's most popular red meat source, reproduce twice as fast, forage on the same land, and earn 25% more than cattle. This course provides you with information on the how-to-care, feed and produce goats. It also addresses developing a game plan for earning a living from your goats (hair, meat, dairy, brush, show and breeding types) and the number crunching required to make it work. NOTE: A field trip to the instructor's farm in Wharton is included. Class size: 3-25+3.
    Teg Gregory practiced architecture and the marketing of engineering and construction services for over 20 years. He and his wife, Shelby Brown, took up goat farming in 1998 as a sustainable agricultural enterprise upon moving to her family's 130-year old homestead.
    $30
    Greenway Plaza Area: Richmond/Kirby
    M9055D: 1 Wed 7-9:30pm Jul 13 & 1 Sun 1-4pm Jul 17
    M9055E: 1 Fri 7-9:30pm Sept 16 & 1 Sun 1-4pm Sept 18

You can register by phone by calling LLU -- 713-529-4414

Regards,