Housing Question

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by trnubian, Oct 6, 2005.

1. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

I live in North Central Indiana and our winters aren't that bad. Ocaionally gets to be below zero we do get quite a bit of snow.

Many people do not have any type of housing for their cattle. They are just put out in a pasture. They can get into the trees and have low pocket type valleys. Do I need any type of shlter for a calf or two?

They will be about 7-9 months old. There are trees that they can get up against. There are about 5 acres of woods boardering the pasture fence on the west side, and the pasture is lower down on the West side where the trees are. Kind of on the bottom of a hill that is on the west side. Basiclly, the whole entire pasture is surounded by woods.

How many round bales would I need to get to winter the calves (2)? Say through from now until May?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A good windbreak is the important thing. The weather that is hard on them is a freezing rain or sleet. It is better if they have something to get under to stay dry.
    Round bales vary greatly in weight, and quality. 900 lbs is about average. You will run into many that are moldy. 4000 lb per calf should be enough to run them through the winter. Bear in mind that round bales stored outside will have about 100 lbs of spoiled hay on the outside of the bale. It would be to your advantage if you had a rod with a little hook on the end to shove into the round baled before buying and pull a little hay out of the middle of the bale. Smell it and you can tell if it is moldy.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

This is where a clump of cedar trees come in real handy as the calves can get in under them and stay pretty dry. The sleet and freezing rain are the only things you might have to worry about. When we lived in Indiana, we did have a two-sided shed for the calves to get into in the winter, but they generally prefered to be down in the holler under the cedar trees.