Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How dose everyone house there rabbits, what kind of set ups and cages do you use??

I have one large hanger devided into 12 cages. It is more for the smaller breeds. Then I have wooden hutch kind of things, two have built in nest boxed wich I find work great!! I really like them. And then I am also getting a set of racks. I copies Ladysown idea as I really like it. Ive bought 2 sets of three whole cages. I am going to attach them to the racks, two levels of cages. These will be primaraly used for meat rabbits(i am only getting four, three does and a buck) and brood cages for the dwarf breeds. All these cages are in a large insulated barn. I will try to get some pictures.

What dose everyone else do???

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
How dose everyone house there rabbits, what kind of set ups and cages do you use??

I have one large hanger devided into 12 cages. It is more for the smaller breeds. Then I have wooden hutch kind of things, two have built in nest boxed wich I find work great!! I really like them. And then I am also getting a set of racks. I copies Ladysown idea as I really like it. Ive bought 2 sets of three whole cages. I am going to attach them to the racks, two levels of cages. These will be primaraly used for meat rabbits(i am only getting four, three does and a buck) and brood cages for the dwarf breeds. All these cages are in a large insulated barn. I will try to get some pictures.

What dose everyone else do???
You live a whole lot farther north than I ever did. So I am not sure my ways will apply. I raised mine in suspended cages, 12 feet long, 4 sections to a cage. These might seem a a bit big, but I raised French Lops among others, and I always wanted them to have plenty of room. I put two pieces of electrical conduit , (used a connector, they are only 10' long) one in the front top corner of the cage and one in the back corner (inside), and tied the rafter wires to them at oblique angles to kepp the cages straight and steady. The shed these were in was not insulated, had windows for summer ventilation, and though they were not "tight", the were solid enough to prevent draughts. (Maggie will be happy with my spelling :) ) I had a solid door to the shed opening inward, and an old storm door (I replaced the screen with 1 x 2 wire, to allow additional summer ventilation) opening outward. If you use a storm door like this be sure to replace the screen or put a piece of grate over it, because dogs, *****, and other varmits will go right thourh the screen.

The shed was built using railroad ties layed down as a foundation, and old wood concrete forms as the walls, the rafters are old telephone pole cross-arms. The windows(many on the south side) came from and old mobile home being wrecked-out. The only thing new was the tin on the roof. As time passed I would purchase a few sheets of ribbed wood siding at a time and cover the old wood forms with them. after a year or so, when the siding was all on, I gave the thing a paint job. 17 years ago when I moved to Missouri from Illinois, I took the roof off, seperated it into 3 pieces, put it on a truck and moved it to Missouri with me (regretably I could not move my rabbits at that time) I re assembled it here when I had time and still use it to this day. Wish I could send pictures, I live in a residentail area now, and it is as nice looking as any shed around.

Btw, over the years, I got away from using any kind of hutch that was built to any degree with wood, wood, holds all kinds of urine and feces, is a great place for germs to dwell, not to mention rabbits tend to chew it. The was and orchard next to me, and I would save sections of apple branches, cut them into about 6 inch sections and put one in each pen about one a week for the rabbits to chew on...aftere a week if ther is anything left of it, it is too dirty to leave. I always put a piece of board in the cage for the rabbit to sit on, collected 1x12 scraps for this purpose. But they must be kept clean and replaced often, because they are a wonderful place for germs. I was always looking for something non-porus, that would wash easy for that purpose, but I never could really find anything that would I thought safe for them to chew on. I had beds built under the cages, for the litter, and started "red-worms" in them. The worms kept the pellets fairly composted, and there was adequate ventilation so that fumes never built up (more dangerous that the cold), on exceptionally cold nights I put some light bulb heaters on the floor beneath the nest boxes, any litter less than a week old.

I have described them on another thread, (but I can't remember which :eek: )

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here is our setup, for two (Flemish) does and a mixed-breed buck. We've since added 2 more grow-out pens to the downhill part of this line of hutches.

We use kennel flooring for the flooring, plus lots of plywood, ripped 2x4's, tin roofing over the whole thing, and rip-proof plastic for the back for a windbreak.

Our hutches are probably overkill, but they're sturdy and not too much of an eyesore for our backyard. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
o&itw, Ya the suspended/hangers work great! I really like how they are easy to clean...especially with a cement floor.

cnvh, I really like your set up! I LOVE the hutch kind of things...dunno why, just like them!

How do you add pictures...it asked for a link?

·
Registered
213 Posts
How do you add pictures...it asked for a link?
I use photos I have posted to my Picasa web album. To do that, I open the photo I want in Picasa, right-click on the photo, select "Properties," highlight the URL address for the photo (whatever comes after "http://" in the Properties pop-up), right-click on it, and select "copy."

Then I come back to HST, click on the little photo icon above the message box, right-click inside the address bar, paste the address I copied from Picasa, and click "OK."

If you have photos on Photobucket or one of the other online picture hosting sites, I think it may be easier to do, but I just like Picasa. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't have a barn, or even a shed (woe is me). So the bunnies are in the garage right now. I use stacking cages with dropping pans. We currently have a total of 12 holes for our Holland Lops - but eventually I would like to have 15-20 holes. We have 6 30x30 cages that we use for does with litters and 2 24x24 cages for bucks, and I just bought 4 holes of 18x24 to use for sorting juniors. This summer I would like to maybe add a row of outside cages since they are sooooo much less work than cleaning pans. But I have CCRs in my community, so I'll have to make sure that any outside hutches are very discreet and look nice.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
What is a "CCR"?
Community Covenants and Restrictions (or something close, aka "deed restrictions"). It basically means that there are community rules attached to the title deed of your house, usually along the lines of keeping the grass mowed, not raising certain types of livestock (usually the noisy or messy ones), not keeping junk cars, etc. in plain view of the neighbors, etc. The basic idea is to keep property values up by not allowing owners to let their places get trashy-looking or weird.

A lot depends on how they're worded, and even more on how (and by whom) they're enforced.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Tailwagging, I like your set up. With my cages being 2x4', I'm presuming I would need stands for them? South Carolina do you get snow? If so have you had any problems with the snow on the roof?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts