Homesteading Forum banner

how long do you spend on housework each day?

• 15 mins

• 30 mins

• 1 hour

• 2 hours

• more than 2 hours

• none

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so how long do other people spend per day doing housework. Cleaning, laundry, atmosphere setting etc. Not including preparing meals.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Most days, an hour. Today cause I was out with my back yesterday and couldn't do anything.....its going to be like 3 hours. UGH.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
627 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
Most days, an hour. Today cause I was out with my back yesterday and couldn't do anything.....its going to be like 3 hours. UGH.
God Bless,
Michele
So glad you added the UGH..I hate housework too! My family looks at me as if I have three heads when I say that! They always say, "Don't you like your house clean?" I always reply.."Yes, I just hate being the one to clean it".

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I put 30 min as I figured it was an average of most days. some days I do a lot and some I do very little. I clean and do most everything in waves or cycles.

My boys are 5 &7 and they are being taught if you get it out you put it back and if you make the mess you clean it up. I am mom but I am not maid service for slobsRus. :p they are understanding how to keep a house and how hard and BORING it is. It is better to keep it clean and not have to work at fixing it up. I don't want my sons to not know how to keep a nice house.

I do tend to do cleaning in more of a binge instead of clean a little but often. I do do a lot of deep Spring and fall cleanings intermixed w/ winter and summer cleanings. :dance: I do have help come in to help me w/ it. I don't lift anything heavy anymore so moving furniture etc. requires some help. It is a lot more fun to deep clean w/ somone else in the house. In 4 hrs we have it looking like a a new house. She keeps me on track and motivated. I get to get rid of the dust bunnies faster. She has become a great friend and having her help is a lot cheaper than blowing out my back again. :dance:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I do about 2 hours, but it's broke up into 8 sections of 15 minutes each. I found the flylady site a few years ago and learned that I can accomplish a lot in 15 minutes. The full 2 hours isn't spent just inside the house. Sometimes a section is spent making the front porch look inviting, sometimes it's spent working on some remodeling instead of actual cleaning. As long as I spend the 8 sections doing something to benefit the house I count it as house work.

The word "dust bunny" has a whole new meaning at my house. I have a pet rabbit that I let hop around the house. Every now and then I notice that she has dust on her whiskers. I started noticing that she snoops behind the frig, and places that are not easy for me to get to. So now my "dust bunny" is cleaning the dust from those areas for me. LOL

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
An hour for me at the most if I do everything – vacuum, dust, mop, laundry, dishes, etc…
Place stays a lot more organized and clean now that I am living alone.

·
Registered
713 Posts
2+ hours a day, not including outdoor stuff. Instead of having one big cleaning day a week like I used to, I break it up throughout the week. I also do deep cleaning all year so I don't have to do too much at once a couple times a year. Besides, I am big-time OCD....like if the cushions on the couch are out of place, I have to fix them right away...they have to be cocked a certain way and everything. Basically, a typical day would be make bed, do 2 loads laundry plus folding, clean kitchen floor while kids wipe down baseboards and trim, do dishes plus wipe down counters and appliances and sweep floor after every meal, tidy rooms upstairs, clean off my desk and put away any clutter that accumulated while doing school, take out trash, garage cleanup (put shoes on shelf, make sure toys and animal equipment is put away) and do the ten minute tidy before DH gets home from work. BTW, this is not 2+ hours by myself...kids are by my side helping 90% of that time. And, believe it or not...I love to clean, it's good for the soul or something!!

Rachael

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
I didn't include meal prep, but I did include doing the dishes. I voted for 2 hours. I think that's accurate. Dishes three times per day and twenty minutes each time is one hour. Folding and putting away 3 loads of laundry per day (four kids and cloth diapers) accounts for another 30 minutes. And then I also pick one thing to clean such as the bathroom or the kitchen floor or decluttering a problem area for another 30 minutes.

I didn't include general straightening because I do that several times per day (4 kids.)

:) RedTartan

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
You didn't have a 4 hour option, so I put 2 hours.
Mostly dishes and moping. Moping and sweeping can be time consuming with 3 dogs. Their shedding like crazy right now. The furninture could used wiped daily too from the dust they bring in.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Since it's just Roger and I, plus Goldie, the ever shedding doggy, and Brat the Cat, it sin't oo bad.

I just hate a messy, dirty home, so I try to stay on top of it. I voted 2 hours, but that's an average.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I chose 2, but mostly it is between one and two. And that is all of us (the children and I) cleaning together. We have 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a laundry room, mudroom, kitchen, and living room. The bathrooms, kitchen and living room get cleaned every day. The rest get picked up and vacuumed every day.

I don't mind cleaning, but I hate a messy house....

·
Registered
360 Posts
I tend to do nothing as far as house cleaning for several days and then spend a couple hours cleaning about once a week. I can get away with his because I have a very small house, live alone, and tend to put things back when I'm done with them.

The cleaning day some of you described makes me tired just thinking about it! Several loads of laundry a day??? I'd go crazy. I do about 3 loads every 10 days at the laundramat.

·
newfieannie
9,197 Posts
I clean once a year wether it needs to be done or not! all kidding aside folks everybody knows by now I hate housework but love cooking. I do plan to turn over a new leaf soon as I move though. my flower garden ,on the other hand is a thing of beauty. no weeds in sight! ...Georgia.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I do over two hours of house work a day besides meals. The kids do about 30 minutes a day each. (8 kids 6 over the age of 5) It seems to me that in the summer I do a lot more house work than the rest of the year. I suppose it is because all the children are home from school coming in and out plus their friends. Don't get me wrong they do clean up after themselves it's just the extra dirt on the floors, finger prints on the glass that type of thing that seems to never end in the summer. We do extra chores usually on Saturdays for about two hours. Extra chores are yard work, gardening, cleaning out the vehicals ect.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
hoggie said:
OK - so how long do other people spend per day doing housework. Cleaning, laundry, atmosphere setting etc. Not including preparing meals.
I am from the school of "you let the housework go until it gets so bad you cannot stand it any longer, and then you do it".

I usually clean house once a week (vacuum, wash, toilets, sheets) and the heavy stuff once a month (defrost fridge, dust, mop floors, clean rest of bathroom).

Yes, my standards are low. But if they weren't I'd be spending all my time doing housework. I am very fortunate that dh doesn't mind helping with the chores, but I would never ask him, nor expect him to if he didn't volunteer.

donsgal

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I put 30 minutes, but that is on weekdays when I have an hour commute one way to work (dishes, trash, wipe down bathroom and kitchen). I have to make up for it on weekends: mowing, mopping, laundry, vacuuming, meals, etc. and I still have a major mess afterwards. Where is the fairy housecleaner when you need one?

When I win the lottery, first I am going to rent a dumpster, then toss everything into it, have a service come in to fumigate, clean and disinfect. Next I'll hire a decorator to start from scratch and finally I'll hire bi-weekly services for cleaning, laundry, landscaping, pool maintenance, and meals. If there's any money left, I'll travel!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Years ago I cleaned house for two hours in late morning, then crumpled from exhaustion (asthma). The rest of the day was spent on school and baby. Now, I don't usually do more than one hour, including dishes and cleaning the kitchen, but sometimes I do. I'm cleaning out my sewing room so I can set up my new sewing machine, does that count? I would put in more time housecleaning, but I'm not physically able to right now.

Does gardening count?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
About two hours.All depends how I feel and what needs doing.

big rockpile

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
I voted none.

DW and I worked out that I do all the cooking and she does the cleaning. She even cleans the kitchen after I cook!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts