Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woman spends 30 hours inside vent
Published in Deseret News: Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2009 12:50 a.m. MST

OGDEN — A woman remained hospitalized Tuesday after spending nearly 30 hours trapped upside down in a floor vent.

Ogden police were called Monday evening to a home on the 100 block of Patterson Street by a couple who hadn't heard from their 55-year-old aunt.

"They're used to hearing from her on a daily basis," Ogden Police Lt. Scott Sangberg said Tuesday. "Her car was there, but her house was locked, and she wouldn't answer the phone."

An officer called for a locksmith who came and unlocked the door. Once inside, they could hear someone calling for help.

"They found her in a heat duct in the floor upside down," Sangberg said.

The petite, 110-pound woman was about 3 feet inside the large floor vent. Firefighters were called to help free her.

"They had to extricate her by dismantling the duct in the basement by the furnace connection," Sangberg said.

The woman was being treated for cuts and bruises at Ogden Regional Medical Center. Police said she had been there for maybe a day or more.

"What she was doing, she said, was vacuuming," Sangberg said. "She was cleaning the cold air and warm air ducts. It's an older home and they're on the floor and they're big, and she fell in."

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I'm originally from Ogden! This caught my eye, and now, I'm even more convinced that housework can be hazardous! We had those large vents in the house I grew up in, and a little girl my Mom took care of fell and burned her hands on one! Jan in Co

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gee, I have a new house with those little vents in the floor, and the large return air vent in a wall, near the ceiling. I guess I can't use this as my excuse for not having everything clean all the time.
Now...if I can find my hubby's jig saw, I can cut my own hole in the floor and fall into it! (I've felt like doing that a time or two anyway when the house gets real messy!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts