House without a bathroom/septic

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nick53, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Nick53

Nick53 Well-Known Member

I went to an open house the other day to a place that was perfect except for one thing: no bathroom or septic and needs a new well. Older house on .81 of an acre, asking 60K for it which is the least expensive country home that i've found in about two years of looking around here. My question is how much approx. would a new well, mound septic, and installing a bathroom would cost?? My estimate without consulting a plumber yet was 15-20K. Maybe 8K for the mound, 4K for the well, and the balance for plumbing and fixtures. I'm in eastern wisconsin if that helps any. Just asking to see what ya'll have to say. Thanks a lot!!

Nick

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Well,.....I know it will be alot more than a composting or sawdust toilet system. You should be able to get an idea from a local plumer just for calling up and asking what a typical system cost where you live.

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Relocate, for 60 grand you can get 20-30 acres easily in other areas with home and plumbing!

4. Nick53

Nick53 Well-Known Member

The place does have a composting toilet in it now, which for me would be just great. The catch is I highly doubt that a lender will give me a mortgage without a working septic and well. Anyone know if this is true or not?? Other than that I think I would have gone back and put in an offer on the place. Thanks for the reply.

Nick

5. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

You're right. It will be hard to get a mortgage on a place without plumbing. There are lenders who will overlook that sort of thing. Sorry, I no longer have a list of such lenders.

6. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

We looked at abeautiful Amish house a few months ago. It was only 3 years old, but didn't have a bathroom either. (and of course no electricity). There was a faucet and sink in the kitchen, with spring water. Our realtor told us that they had to put the faucet in the kitchen to get financing. So apparently all you need in Ohio for financing is running water. The place sat on 35 acres. With the one you are looking at being on much smaller property, septic may be necessary just because you might have very close neighbors.

7. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Your cost is dependant on a couple of things. How deep do they have to drill to hit water? The charge for drilling is per foot. Some wells go down several hundred feet, and there's no guarentee they will find water (ex. Missouri). I don't know much about mound systems as I have a 1000 gallon septic tank. The contracter paid $500 to get the permit for it!! I agree with you that you probably can't get financing from a bank for this place.

Is it really that expensive where you are? I thought New York was bad! I drive 45 minutes to work and back, but I paid half of what the asking price is for the place you're looking at, and I have 5 acres w/ a new well and septic, old mobile w/ a new furnace and new hot water heater. I guess I should consider myself fortunate.

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

neither did ours we had to put up walls run wires run the pipe buy a toile the tub tile sheetrock lights waynescoating we spent about 1500 dollors

9. Nick53

Nick53 Well-Known Member

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you do any of the work yourself? When we built our house last year we had two wells put in...one at the house and one at the barn. It cost $1300.00 each. As for septic, I'm not sure what that ran us, but there should be several options available. Check all your options out. I'd scour around and find free or cheap stuff to build the bathroom. Shouldn't run you that much, especially if you can do the work yourself or have friends with know-how that will lend a hand!

11. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Yoy are all lucky. Here in N. Arizona, you can't build a house without a septic going in first. Our well was $14,000 -went down to 450 ft. The first bid on electricity was over $7,000. The electric co. wouldn't run through a dry lake bed. We graded it, dug a retention basin, threw in grass seed, now it's a pasture and the electric co. will run their line across the same area for $3000.00 now - Go figure! :rolleyes:

12. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Two things:
    When we were house hunting we found a home we liked, but it needed a new septic. Our mortgage officer said no problem. They would add the cost of the new septic onto the cost of the house and loan us that amount. The bank wouldn't give us the septic money rather they would pay off the company installing the new septic

I discovered that the State of Wisconsin has a grant to help folks get new septic systems on existing houses. Basically you have to have the county inspector tell you the septic fails to meet code. You then fix the septic and have it reinspected. You can then apply for the grant which will pay back a portion of the septic. How much you get back depends on the cost of the septic and your income. I went thru the formula and we would've gotten around $1,700 for the "grant". It is a state grant, but it is administered on a county basis since the county inspector has verify that you qualify for it. I don't have a link anymore, but you can probably find it with google.

BTW- We didn't end up buying the house, but it had nothing to do with the septic. The owners had listed their house for sale even though they had started going through the bankruptcy process and the court appointed trustee stepped in to explain to them that the house wasn't their's to sell.

-deb
    in wi

13. Nick53

Nick53 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info deb-I was not aware of such a grant program. I'll do some searching for info on this.

Nick

14. greyhound girl

greyhound girl Well-Known Member

Hey Tinker - where are you at in SE Ohio? I think that Amish place you looked at is fairly close to where I am!

15. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Starting anyhow.

Our contract is $13,200 near Wausau, WI. That buys a new stack in the house, basement trenching, a pump and tank under the lawn, 200' of pipe to run up the hill, and a 125' mound / field.

Fixed cost UNLESS I deny trucks access or they run into bedrock while digging for pipe-laying.

R

16. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Greyhound, we are in Proctorville now, but that house we looked at was in the Barnesville area. Beautiful place, but dh said too much work, unless he decided to retire to live there.

17. greyhound girl

Tinker - yup - that's the one I thought. I live in Lewisville, which is about 20 miles or so south of Barnesville. It does look to be a beautiful place and the price seems reasonable. Are you looking at more in this area? My friends just bought 46 acres with a beautiful home and wonderful barn, with 2 gas wells, for $110,000 in Graysville. The place is immaculate - ready to move in. This is Monroe County and things go a little cheaper. Lots of places in this county do not have septic systems at all - but everything seems to work. No zoning.

18. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

do they get free gas from the co. with the wells on there prop.

19. greyhound girl

mtman - yep - the gas is heating the house, the workshop, and the 3 bay garage right now. All mineral rights transfer. There are lots of gas wells in this area.