House starting to smell good....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Mutti, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

pumpkin pie out of the oven, apple pie in and rolls rising on the counter...things are starting to smell yummy around here. Got our turkey from the Mennonites yesterday...19.75 lbs...whew,really wanted a little one but they grew too well this year! Guess we'll have more leftovers than we planned...and will have to start the Weber alot earlier. Hope you all have a happy holiday and spend it just the way you like most. We will eat, then take a walk over the farm to select our Christmas tree...we always decorate a cedar; makes our house smell so good. Question...why does cranberry jelly only come in big big cans? We like about a tablespoon each and then it always ends up in the back of the frig with that funky green tinge. DEE

2. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I ended up doing my pies last night. Oh, the kitchen smelld soooo good! I porred some cloves in my humidifier pot on the wood stove while I had them out. I will do that all the time now and add a cinnamon stick too!
    The cranberry jelly is very good in a tukey sandwich! take good old white bread, lots of mayo, sliced turkey, cold stuffing and a slab of cranberry sauce/jelly (or the fresh made stuff, we have both!) YUM! I can't wait for Friday!

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

WooHoooo you bet! And don't forget the homemade turkey soup! :p :p

4. sssarawolf

sssarawolf Well-Known Member

Made a dutch apple pie yesterday and when dh got home form work he wanted to dive into it, Had to say NO, its for Thanksgiving.

5. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

Along with turkey sandwiches (white bread, mayo and cranbery sauce), try making turkey croquettes out of the leftover turkey and saucing them with the leftover cranberry sauce melted over low heat in a saucepan...YUM~

We never have leftover crancerry sauce...I always have to get 2 cans so we can have cranberry on our next day turkey sandwiches.

~Berta

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually did try a teeny tiny slice of apple pie as it was from a recipe I got on the internet for frozen pie filling and I didn't wanna find out tomorrow that it turned out icky....sounds like a good excuse, doesn't it? It was way good, put crumb topping on it and will definitely be making more bags next fall...DEE

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

We've made the stuffing and peeled and cut up the veggies and taken them to my sister's house. Now I'm about to return to the kitchen to make banana bread and pumpkin pies, then cheeseburgers and fries for supper. I'll roast a turkey for here on Friday.

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I made the cranberry sauce last night and baked the cornbread for the dressing. Today, I made the dressing and cooked the sweet potatoes. The whole wheat bread just went into the oven.

The turkey is defrosting in the fridge, and I'll cook it and the pie tomorrow.

9. countrydreamn

countrydreamn Well-Known Member

in the oven now. I am working on 16 loaves. 6 cooking 10 more to go. Then I need to make pizza crust here for supper. Yummy.
    Everything else will be at Grandfathers tomorrow. But we will be back there on Friday and Sat as my little sis and her family are on their way up from FL.
    Bummer they only get to stay till Sat.

D

10. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Snack mix, second batch is done, cranberry sauce is made and in the fridge. We have 2 kinds of candy done and the Thanksgiving Cake is in the oven (NO one allowed in there until it sets!) The kids are all outside cleaning the barn & I am tiptoeing around. Next is fudge and rolls. The potatoes will be pealed in the morning and I don't cook the turkey until Friday, so it comes out tonight. Everything is ready for stuffing and yes the house smells wonderful!