House is talking to us......

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Oct 7, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

The house in 3 years old ---- stick built, but with lots of log railings, etc.
    It talked to us often the first year but then was relatively silent until this past week.
    I suspect its the outside weather changes and the inside heat that has it making noises.
    I guess it is a comforting sound but some of those LOUD cracks make me wonder if I should be worried.

Does your house talk to you?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like your house is settling. Mine talks to me too...it's only six-months-old so it doesn't talk much. Sometimes I leave the windows open just a crack to hear the wind whistling. LOL...

3. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

My house is a hundred year old farm house and it talks. Creeks and "goes bump in the night" noises that I usually notice at night when I'm trying to fall asleep. When the wind blows really hard during the winter our old windows whistle. During a really hard freeze, the house talks a little more. Becky

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

When your house talks to you, don't answer back!

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

My house is 5 years old & it started talking before it was even half finished. After the metal roof went on, it got even louder. It starts popping as soon as the sun comes up & again as soon as the air cools in the evening. It was a little spooky at first, but I think I'd miss it now if it stopped.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My house talked to me. The sound I heard was powder post beeteles devouring it. It was a fairly new house. After treatment it became someone elses house.