house in a metal building?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dawndra, May 30, 2006.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Has any built a house in a metal building? In this area, we call them Morton or Cleary buildings... I"m talking like a machine shed.

We are going to build a house this summer & can get one of these for free (40X140) if we take it down.

My questions are....

has anyone built a house in a machine shed?

What were the drawbacks?

What would you do differently?

We're planning on building like a 40X50 house & leave the rest for garage/ junk keeper/ working area for hubby.

:help:

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

my grandfather built a rather huge but really nice home out of a old 1960's era broiler house. it is 32x150 but the house uses only 32x100 of it. He just filled in the sides pured a slab added a ceiling etc. Pics from the inside look like a typical house.

3. Melissa

Melissa member

Our vet has a large Morton building and his house is part of it. I think it would be very convenient, especially for winter-feeding. As far as having a workshop, the only drawback might be the fumes and dust.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

The church I used to belong to in New Hampshire put up a Morton building for their new church building. They just finished it about a year ago, and it's beautiful, and well insulated, too. I think it would make a great house. A lot of work, though, to take one down and then put it up again.

Here are a couple of pictures of the church:

http://www.msnusers.com/7ak9gmp297iamjm49ot0c5vig7/Documents/Pictures/DSCF0111.JPG

http://www.msnusers.com/7ak9gmp297iamjm49ot0c5vig7/Documents/Pictures/DSCF0110.JPG

http://www.msnusers.com/7ak9gmp297iamjm49ot0c5vig7/Documents/Pictures/DSCF0106.JPG

Kathleen

5. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I'm thinking of trying to seal the house as much as possible... like making a dividing wall between the house & the rest

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Yes , I did this in 1994 . 40 x 40 metal building , facing south with 14 foot high sides with a 20 x 20 covered parking area as well as storage on th east side and connected by the same roof . My living area is 16 x 40 , ALL Walls , both interior and exterior are made of 1/2 ich CD grade exterior plywood . I hate sheetrock with a passion cause it's more trouble than its worth . The "roof" is also floored with plywood and it can be used for storage if built strong enough from the getgo . I also built a set of 4 foot wide stairs with a 6x6 landing at the top that allows me an easy climb to my Roof(inside the metal building) and all the stuff I have stored up There , although I've been selling\giving tons of Stuff away cause I'm going to put this place on the market fairly quickly .
    .................IF , you situate a garage portion of the interior on the metal building on the WEST side and have your living area on the EAST , and the Metal building is INsulated , ALL that UV radiant heat from old Mr.Sun will be focused upon the insulated metal roof and prevented from directly heating your living area within the metal building . If your living area is adequately insulated , aLL you will require for Airconditioning is Window units at about 150 apiece . I use a 8000 btu in my living area and a 6000 btu for my bedroom . MY neighbors on both sides have central heat\air and their power bills run from 200 and UP , whereas my electric was 38 last month .
    .................I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle when it comes to heat and air as My window unit in my bedroom is New and Cost me $125 on sale at Wally world !!Why
    do folks think that they have to spend 10 and 15 thousand on central heat and Air , it just amazes me when I think about how much money they are wasting . fordy... :)

7. lonewolfparker

lonewolfparker Active Member

this is the way i have been looking at also. sounds like a heck of a plan thanks

8. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a neighbor and also a half bro that has done this.

also know of some that have built typical two story barns and use the upstairs(loft) space as living area with barn space down.

Once knew of couple whose house burned. They had a long pole barn and built rooms into one end. As time went on, if the wife wanted a new rooom they just closed in more space. Think she had 2 or 3 living rooms, and dining rooms with different styles of dec.

lots of options out there

9. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I have found out that there is a couple that are acquaintences to me that are doing the exact same thing... I'll have to go over & check out what they've done

Thanks for your ideas & tips....

I'll appreciate all tips that anyone has...

10. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

We were half owners in a property that included a metal building house with garage in 30 x 90. It was built on a concrete slab and the roof and walls were metal. Framing had been installed inside the metal structure and there was more than adequate insulation.

Our partners used the house and found it to be comfortable and easy to heat and cool.

However, the building was so well sealed and insulated that there was little or no circulation in the attic area -- which caused some signs of condensation. We removed insulation that blocked airflow and planned to install vents or roof turbines to increase circulation. I don't know what was completed and don't know the results.

11. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

It's a great idea and I've seen it done to great success. I would anonymously check with the appropriate zoning board to see if it's allowed. You are in Illinois too and a guy here in McLean County got in trouble with the zoning board over it after the building was built. Of course McLean County thinks it's "Little Chicago" when it comes to what you can do or not do. Good luck and I hope you are successful. :cowboy:

12. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

we're WAY off the beaten path, & live as the last house on a little traveled road.... I'm hoping that no one cares... frankly, I could care less if they do know.... LOL

13. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Yes, our friends in the mountains of central California did just that while re-building the main house (fire had destroyed the main house so this wasn't the first structure on the land. Check local building codes to see if allowed as your primary structure - don't want to trigger zoning for multiple residences.)

Theirs was a unit about 24 by 40 (I'm guessing on width). They built a framed out dividing wall, fully insulated to separate from the equipment side. They framed out inside of the living part of the unit for extra insulation - house was at the 6500 ft level where snows occur.
    They did NOT put a wood burning stove in, although one was available. Instead heated with a large portable electric or propane heater. In the unit, was a bath, kitchen and living/sleeping area. Sort of a large studio apartment about 600 sf, maybe about 800 tops. It was used for a year until the house was finished. I'm sure if it had been intended for long term use, they would have built out separate bedrooms. Large rugs/carpet squares were used on the cement floor. Their main house was solar with the panels mounted about 30 feet from the house so they didn't have to replace the whole system thankfully. The metal house was solar powered also.

Mary said the key feature that made it livable was that they added insulation - otherwise it's an oven in the sunshine and a freezer at night!

BW

14. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Dawndra:
    Just such a place just recently sold in Hoopeston Illinois, not far from me. 3.5 acres with lots of nice trees. It was quite a large metal building, about 4000 sqft. It was being used as a truck shop, but the ad said it had a 2000 sq ft loft apartment in one end with 2 baths. They were asking 78k which was a real bargain. I was mighty mighty tempted to go take a look but it sold before I could get over there to look. I think its a grand idea and think its well worth trying. A combined barn house is an old old concept. The french have done it for years and they are called Longueres. The house is on one end and the barn on the other and there is usually an open roofed area in the middle used as an open work area and threshing floor that helps to keep the animal smells out of the house. heres a couple of french examples but you could certainly translate the idea into a modern metal building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gimme a PM, I might even have a sort of basic plan for a longeur in my files I can send you.