Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we had a chimney fire which spread to the rafters and ended up leaving a hole in the living room ceiling where I can now see the sky. There's extensive smoke damage, and so we will be spending Thanksgiving in a motel.

For all of you with woodstoves, I just wanted to say be very careful. A few prayers would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
 

·
fireliteca
Joined
·
137 Posts
Amrillo We lost our home to fire in 1990.We made a kitchen/bath in one grainery and slept in the other one. You will feel stressed the kids will think it is a big adventure.Go with the adventure theme as much as possible.You will get through it.Sending prayers-firelite
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Sunday morning I got a call from a friend, he said his house just burned down...It did... he can stand is the basement and see the sky...there is no house at all...they are okay but none of the house pets made it out and they lost all of their stuff...all they have left is their cars, they had to go have new keys made for them, the old ones burned up...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,908 Posts
My sister moved into a place that had had a fire: she painted the cupboards and such to get rid of the smoke smell. It worked.

And, thank God it was not worse! Prayers said!
 

·
keep it simple and honest
Joined
·
3,810 Posts
Amarillo,
I lost everything, including a pet, in a fire in 1972. It is no picnic, and it will stay with you as long as you live...you will remember things that you lost 5, 10, or more years later. The smell of any fire, good or bad, will bring back (bad) memories.
But, you will always be aware of where you are, checking for an exit sign, in case. You will always shutter a little when you hear a fire siren...or even smell a wood stove burning.
After all these years, I still am very leary of fire...although I do now have a wood stove. Each fall I must brace myself before I begin the heating season and do what I can to be safe (clean the chimney every three weeks, check smoke detectors, etc.)
Like many traumas in life, it will remain but will ease its way to the back of your mind, but not so far that you aren't continually better prepared to deal with fire in a safer manner.
Be thankful this season that you are safe, even if there has been a set back in your life and plans. Now move forward with the increased knowledge of how to remain safer.
 

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
Joined
·
6,674 Posts
I'm so sorry! I worry about that same thing too. Please let us know if there is anything we can do! You have prayers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,055 Posts
Sorry to hear of this, but it's Thanksgiving, so be thankful that most of your house is not damaged, that you and your family were not injured, that you and your family still have blessings that are not enjoyed by the majority of people throughout the world. Peace and prayers for you and yours.
 

·
My kids have hooves
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep you in my thoughts. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Fire is one of my biggest fears. DH dearly wants to put in a wood stove, but our 165 year old wood house would go up in seconds if we had a problem. I'm just too leery to consider it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,961 Posts
I'm so sorry for your family. Thank the Lord it wasn't worse. Seems you have even more to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I wish you were close enough to come share Thanksgiving supper with us.
 

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
Joined
·
3,089 Posts
God bless you and your family. You will be in my prayers. So happy that nobody was injured and that the fire was contained. I agree with WIIH, I'd need to know why it happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your prayers.

From what the fire inspector can determine, there were apparently small holes in the pipe which then ignited the insulation.

I am still waiting for his official written report which will probably be more detailed.

Luckily, the fire fighters removed some of the roof to make sure that the fire was completely extinguished which it wasn't. It was so cold the night of the fire, that they were not able to determine whether it was still smoldering or if it was simply steam coming from the water. When they investigated further, they determined that it was in fact still smoldering.

The fire fighters told me that last week, they used their infrared instruments and thought that they had extinguished a fire, and two hours later, the man's house burned to the ground.

So as bad as it, it could have been far worse.

Thanks again for all of your kind words and prayers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
I'm am so sorry this happened to you. Your family is in my prayers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,277 Posts
Wow, how awful! I'm so glad you and yours got out safely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,519 Posts
Glad to hear that you are all safe and no harmed! So sorry this has happened to you. Yes, find out exactly what happened so you can fix it.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top