House Building

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Phil - MO, May 21, 2004.

1. Phil - MO

Phil - MO Active Member

I have a preliminary house plan that I paid an architect to hand draw to scale (1/4" to 1 foot). There are no construction details yet.
    I have drawn in changes myself and haven't had any trouble getting bids for materials, drilled well, cabinets, trusses, etc. I might even tackle the basement myself since I have a crawler/loader for farm work.

I hate to pay an additional $1500 for a detailed completed house plan. Wonder if I can build from the preliminary plan. I also hate to have copies of my house plan shown to other builders as samples of the architect's work. I hope to frame up, do the wiring, plumbing, duct work, etc. myself after retirement soon.

Building codes are non-existent in the county I will be building in.
    The architect was saying he might want to get an engineer to figure some details. This would bring the cost up another $400 or more.

Maybe I could find a computer assisted designer with a more reasonable rate that would show construction details.

2. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I once built a 3/2 brick veneer, from plans drawn on a McDonald's napkin. No basement, though.

After having the engineer go over the technical stuff, I don't see why not, as long as you don't have a bank breathing down your neck.

3. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

Like Jolly, I have literally built houses drawn on scrap paper. They go up just as well and apparently last as long.

4. unless what you are trying to build is complex or out of the ordinary... The lumber yard should have span tables and be able to assist you with any structural questions you may have or go to the library or book store.... Best way to learn......

And Best of Luck!!!!!

Building a home is an exciting and stressful endeavor!!!!!!

Jbmaine

having problems logging in...... HMMMMMMMMMM

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

We had to give a contractor 5 copies of a plan we had paid an architect for and the contractor not only never gave us his bid, but refused to return any of the copies and who knows how many carbon copies of our house have now been built! Do as much as you can yourself and eliminate the middle man. It's hard work, but very rewarding. Enjoy!

6. Phil - MO

Phil - MO Active Member

Thanks for the information.
    As I said in my post, I am planning on retiring first, so I should have the time, and if I can sell my house after framing this one up I shouldn't have to do any financing.
    I built a house about 25 years ago doing 75 percent of the work, but now may have to hire some help.
    This house will be a story and half, with about 3,000 sq. ft. living area.
    Hope I'm not biting off too much, I will still need to take care of some cows, put up hay, and keep fence up.
    Also need to keep my cool when my wife says "are you sure that's the way you want to leave it". Or "Are you really satisfied with that".

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Phil -- my only advice would be to be sure about doing the basement/foundations yourself. IMHO, having the basement dug, poured and guaranteed by a specialized concrete contractor is well worth the added price.

8. charles

charles Well-Known Member

My two bits Phil,

As a teenager worked as a construction worker building some apartments and other buildings. These were kind of idiot proof. The plans showed the locations of every stud, header, door frame, etc. One guy would mark out the placement of everything with snap lines and wax pencil. Anybody could help in construction because it was all laid out.

I've been building my own house now for 2 years. I have a floor plan but no construction details. I make these up as I go along and get to them. I really can't use any help though because I can't tell anybody specifically where to put a specific framing member. I can just say "go build a wall over there and tie it in to such and such."So, its real slow. I've got to do it all by myself. Good of that is I get to do it "my way" and perfectly to my satisfaction. I also can alter and make improvments as I go along.

If you ever expect to get any self-directed help you might consider forking over the extra $1500 so that you can get real use out of the help.

9. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

We originally had an architect come up with a house plan for us. We couldn't afford to build it and ended up coming up with one ourselves. A simple drawing on a piece of grid paper.

We have done all the work ourselves except for the rough in plumbing and the foundation piers and block work. If we had acted only as our own contractor and had hired people to do the work, working plans would have been a must. We knew what we were trying to build, but even with both of us here answering questions and marking stuff for the plumber, he had a hard time because he was used to having plans.

10. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Simplify, simplify, simplify.

I'm about seven years from retirement, and the old gray mare ain't near what she used to be. :haha:

Fencing is hard work, just like building a barn, or haying. Not to mention the evryday stuff of running a few head of livestock. Unless you've got a passel of grandkids, over 3000 heated and cooled is a big chunk of house, and not one I'd care to bite off - not at this stage of life.

You may have to go back to work, just to rest! :D