Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7 houdini goats that keep getting out and eating my garden, is there a specific type of fence that works better for them and is affordable? We've tried field fence,barbed wire, and woven wire and all have failed miserably at containing my little monsters :rolleyes: Not to mention they keep tearing up the chickens fence too to get to their grain and flipping the rabbits hutches over too :Bawling: They go through about 100 lbs of breeder rations a week so I know they have to be getting enough grain,do they just enjoy being rebels or what :shrug: :help:

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
....silly, .....EVERY goat is a HOUDINI goat....! didn't you get the memo?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Electric works great. I use livestock fence with large squares. I put one strand of hot wire at the top and inside of the livestock and one about 4 inches from the ground and inside. It must be checked and walked everyday.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I use hog or cattle panels, they are not bendable by the goats, they can't slip through the holes and are usually tall enough to contain most goats. I had a jumper, he could go over top of just about anything. He wouldn't jump out of the cattle panel pen unless there was a doe in heat walking around outside his pen. They are also fairly inexpensive. Here they run about $14 for a 16'x4'6" panel.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
We use rigid goat panels, which are just like the livestock/hog panels but the openings are 4"x4" square instead. Unfortunately, in this area a single 16'x4' panel runs $30. Worth it though, as they do the job and are easily reusable.

Our panels are attached to the inside of three board horse fence. The top board of the horse fence runs along the top of the panels, so the overall fence height is 4'6".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yep, most goats are houdini's. :)

We used the Red Brand goat fence, stretched nicely, hot wire around the top, good solid wood posts and metal posts in between, and guess what? We woke up one morning a few weeks ago and had 80 goats roaming our property. They can and will get out. Inspection of the fence, and often, is about the only thing I could think that I learned. We did run a hot wire about a foot from the bottom as well after our incident.

I like the goat panels as well, but some of my heavier goats tend to bend them over a period of time.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,890 Posts
We use electric net fencing from Kencove.

·
Premium Member
15,788 Posts
I use 3 strands of electric but my pasture is head high with weeds and the goats are scared of the fence.

If your goats are eating that much concentrated food I hope none are boys because they are running a risk of UC. That much might be hard even on girls. I would secure that food ASAP.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Jst regular old field fence, srtetched tightly, works fine for me. Yes, they are Houdinis. I have one my wife named Harriet Houdini -- she showed me all the holes in my fences when she was young.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
The old timers around here say the ol=nly fence that'll keep a goat in is one with a top on it. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
We had woven wire, then 3 strands of electric. The woven wire was a joke. If they felt like staying in, they did. If they felt like exploring, they either jumped, climbed or pushed their was out.

Three strands didn't work too well either. But it did until they kidded. The kids would skittle under & mom would be frantic & bust thru. :nono:

What we have now is 4 strands. No escapees yet! :dance: 1- 8 inches, 1- 16 inches, 1- 24 inches and 1- about 42 inches. My goats are smaller, one pygmy & 3 mixes. They respect the fence, no one comes within 2 feet of it!! We tied yellow flags to the top wire, mostly just for the mule & cow, but the goats won't go near yellow now! :p

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Wow mamahen, I sure don't want your goats. I'd be getting rid of those and buying some that are more docile and easy to care for. It's like cattle. Some of those are prone to jumping fence, too. You get rid of the jumpers, or eat them. You never allow them to reproduce, because it is a heritable trait.

I do cull for behavior.

Good old 47-inch high Red Brand 1047 field fence ought to hold in those goats, and if it doesn't you need to get different goats. I sure wouldn't put up with them. I have field fence all the way, with no electric or top barbed wire on it, and no troubles whatsoever.

I've had goats 17 years, and had 2 bonafide escapes in that time. Harriet Houdini goat did show me some holes as a kid, but they were all in cross-fence, so she didn't escape.

If your goats can climb or puch their way out, your field fence is improperly installed and probably is not tight enough. Mine can't do that. It is very important to construct stout corners and to stretch the fencing tightly before nailing it up.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Jim, you don't know how many times my dear husband asked, do you really want goats!! He was so good at installing the fence, very frustrating when she would eyeball it, (4ft fence) then sail over it :flame:

I suppose if I was raising them for a purpose (they're really just keeping our wild brambles & poison ivy at bay, plus they're my girls :rolleyes: ) like meat or milk, I'd be culling like crazy!

It's that darn pygmy doe, she is a complainer & doesn't like to go some places. She's the leader, so once she's out, everyone follows. Good some days, a devil others! But since the 4 strand it's been heaven!

But we've had goats for 15 years, and it seems that they all are prone to escaping! I guess we need full size goats!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts