Hotbed thoughts

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by PyroDon, Jan 13, 2007.

1. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Im wanting to grow a few things through the winter.
    My problem is even when planted in a coldframe the plants always tend to lean to the south.
    I collect door of all kinds and was planning to use two 3ftx6ft8inch glass doors , one for the top and one for the front, the back would be a 3'x6'8" insulated steel door on the back . 3x3 windows on the ends. in addition to counter act the sothward lean I have a mirror closet door that can be attached to the back.
    would the mirror be a good idea or do some think it might cook the plants .
    Im in zone 6 a and can install a self opening vent to prevent over heating it may also be possible to put a small solar fan for air movement

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

What are you doing to keep it from freezing in your mini green house? When the sun goes down it will be nearly the same temp in there as the outside temp.

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

I took three bales of straw and laid them by the dryer vent. In a rectangle shape using the house as the back wall with the vent blowing into the center. This was an expeiment for me. I grew a little lettuce in it and did well. Your mirror is a cool thought. If you biuld a large green house reflect it onto a waterfilled black barrel to heat the water and it will radiate all night. I hope you great sucsess on your venture.
    TRUTH & MERCY Big Dave