1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

When it's really hot out for long periods of time,how often do you water your vegetable garden?

2. Back2Basix

Back2Basix Well-Known Member

2-3 times a day depending on how humid your hot is. Mulching helps immensely in retaining water.

Now realize my Michigan hot might be much different than a southern hot.

I'll add that i switched to soaker hoses instead of sprinklers and my plants seem to do better. Don't know why

Oregon1986 likes this.

3. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

It's HOT here, and dry. Not too bad today but has been a stretch over 100 for past couple weeks.

We do t-tape and black plastic. Tomatoes get watered probably every 3 days. Peppers, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers every 2, or sometimes every day depending on how they look.

Oregon1986 likes this.
  4. Oregon1986

It seems to never be enough for my tomatoes and pumpkins. I'll try soaker hose

5. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

I do a light spray just after sundown every day, mine are in containers with miracle grow garden soil so they hold water pretty well.

I try and do one watering in the morning before it gets hot but the last couple weeks that's been easier said than done.

Oregon1986 likes this.
  6. Oregon1986

I know what you mean,it gets hot early here

7. ticndig

ticndig Well-Known Member

I water just enough to get seeds to sprout. after that ,rain is enough to get them to harvest . It gets plenty hot here with thunderstorms meeting my plants water needs .

8. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Here in Texas where it always is hot, we use drip irrigation daily on most veggies.
    Twice a week on most other things

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  9. Vickivail98

Vickivail98 Well-Known Member

I'm in southern Michigan and this year I watered in bean, carrot and herb seeds (drip tape on individual beds once a day), I water transplants twice (once the day I plant out and then about 3 days later) and then I water everything if it goes more than 7 days with no rain. I mulch very heavily and next year I'm hoping to get the mulch even thicker and water nothing at all except transplants.