Hot Weather Greens

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kygaloot, Apr 18, 2005.

1. kygaloot

kygaloot Member

I am interested in hearing about what greens (lettuce, spinach, etc) do well in hot summer weather. We love eating greens out of the garden, but here in Kentucky the common varieties do not do well in the summer heat and springtime is gone before you know it.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have good luck with kale, can keep it going 9 months of the year. not great in salads, but real tasty on sandwiches, and as a cooked green. it has become my favorite.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

All the red colored lettuces do better in the heat than the green ones. You might also look for New Zealand Spinach, which is really not a spinach. And plant your lettuce where it will get good shade in the summer and keep it picked down so it won't be as likely to bolt.

4. kathrynlmv

kathrynlmv Well-Known Member

I agree with the other respondants...but also consider collards...a part of the cabbage family....they are very hardy and produce a lot more greens than most plants....they take about 31\2 feet from side to side and grow about 3-4 ft. tall. Also, last year I grew some oakleaf lettuce, which I had not tried before, but planted it on the northern side of a building....and it was crisp all summer long. Kathrynlmv

5. Bill in Tn

Bill in Tn Active Member

I'd forget about planting greens this late in the year, and just use the wild plants. Lambs quarter tastes like fresh garden spinach to me, only better, and you can pick it all summer. It even freezes well.

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We live in the AZ desert. Last year a guy grew all kinds of lettuce and sold out at the farmers market. I asked him what he did to keep it going and not taste bitter. He said to cover it with remay so will try it this year. Our summers get hot and very dry.

7. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

See my post in the thread about growing on upright trellises. Whoops :eek:

The idea is to create a cool shady spot for the greens.

8. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I grow a plant called Malabar spinach. It's climbing, sort of looks/tastes like spinach and takes heat well. I also was able to keep my Swiss Chard going throughout the summer if I watered enough.

hollym

9. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

I've always heard Swiss Chard takes summer heat well. We grow it all season here, not that our summers are as hot as yours, but it does better than any other green over the warmer months. Also, don't forget your beet tops when they come in!

Well, Holly just beat me to it, and she's from TX, so it must be so!

10. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I had the same chard plants in my garden year round for about three years. Then they finally died last winter!

hollym