Hot Water Tank

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DakotaBrat, Jan 6, 2004.

1. DakotaBrat

DakotaBrat Well-Known Member

Does anyone have their hot water tank on a timer? We are trying to cut corners now that we have retired and we don't seem to use the hot water after 7p.m. until about 7-9 a.m. I know it would be easy to turn off the breaker but hubby would forgot to turn it on in morning. Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We had a timer water heater when we lived in Scotland in 1974. Now you can get the timers at Lowe's or Home Depot. They will definately save you money if your water heater is electric.

3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Hi

Is the purpose to reduce the energy consumption? Is the heater electric or gas? In either situation, you could possibly reduce the energy use by shutting it off. If you use a timer, and if the heater is electric, then make sure that you have a system that will handle the amperage load of the elements. Usually 1500 watts each, or about 13 amps at 120v or half of that at 220v.

Consider that you must heat the water up again when you want to use it.

A good method to reduce "standby energy loss" is to ADD INSULATION TO THE HEATER. There are standard size blankets available to add to the heater. Or, if you are handy, and you should be handy according to "Red Green" (only if your not handsome - "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." ), then you can add insulation to the tank, and then attach it with your favorite adhesive tape, or baling twine, or whatever.

Lots is better, of insulation.

Another good technique is to lower the water temperature. However, if you have a dishwasher, then you need it higher. Hand washing and showering can use very low temperature water, about 105F (if you have a big enough tank so that you do not depend on a higher temperature water mixed with cold to supply some of your required hot water during high demand times).

Good luck whatever you do.

Alex

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

I put a switch on mine. I run for a half an hour or so , it's hot enough for a shower. It will stay"warm" for several days. For dishes in the sink , I keep a pot of water on the wood stove , to add to the warm water. If you shower and use the DW at the same time every day , it should only be on an hour or two a day.
    If it's well insulated , recovery time should be short.