hot water heater insulated blanket

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mid Tn Mama, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

How can I make a hot water heater insulated blanket? Any ideas from someone who did it themselves. I'm worried about flammability. Help?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here, the power company gives them away to customers. You might check with them first. I have never seen home-made ones, except just wrapping some fiberglass insulation around the tank, which can be a bit messy.

3. Melissa

Melissa member

I have seen them on sale for about $10, seems like it would pay for itself pretty quick even at that price.

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

If an insulatiing blanket doesn't void your warranty. Thankfully we don't have anything the requires insurance coverage. What, the hunt shack, the 8x40 trailer? Ummm, liability? If they're on our land and get hurt, it's posted, "If you want to hunt, come on down the road and ask"

5. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Enough of a disclaimer, you think?

6. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

how old is your tank??? the new ones, last 5 years do not benifit from a blanket because they are already insulated with a very high R factor foam.
    The blanket is only R 4 and will not give a noticable savings.

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

That's an interesting point. Our plumber said that we should not get one for this water heater, maybe that's why. I didn't trust him though because he did some things that were deliberately not what we requested and some other shady things so I didn't know if I could trust him on this.

8. kuriakos

kuriakos Well-Known Member

They void the warranty on most water heaters, not because there's any danger from them, but because they cover the warning stickers.

9. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

This is what the installer for Lowe's told me. He just happed to be there when I was loading a new heater and a blanket on the cart to go checkout. :cowboy:

10. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

As someone who was a Plumber for many years this person is dead on. But I would take it back more then5 years. I would say any WH under 15 years old really does not need it. Matter of fact chances are they will do much more damage then anything else. What they will do is trap moisture under it and make things rust.
    I would say anyone who added one on a WH now days is taking years off their WH instead of saving any money at all.