hot pepper question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kentuckyhippie, Aug 11, 2004.

1. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

about 4 years ago a friend gave me a potted pepper plant. It has tiny triangular shaped peppers that stick straight up on their stems. They are about 1/3 inch long, start out yellow and turn red and are so hot its unbelievable. The whole plant is about a foot tall. I bring it inside every fall and set it in the kitchen window until spring. My problem is that I would like to have some more of these plants but if I set it on the porch or somewhere by itself during the summer it will bloom but not set any peppers. If I set it close to the peppers in the garden it will bear but of course when I save those seeds and plant them I get a totally diffrent kind of pepper, good but different. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe know the name so I could try to order more plants or seeds. It looks similar to a birds eye pepper but smaller. Also, can anyone tell me if the little pots of pepper that walmart has in the fall are edible or are they only for decorative purposes. Thanks

2. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

i think you are talking about thai hot peppers. Do a goodle image search and see. As for the wallmart peppers- are you talking about the multi colored ones? usually they are not edible.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

It does sound like the thai hot. They are blazing!!!

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to grow Thai Dragon peppers. They grew from about 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" in length and turned bright red when ripe. They were some hot suckers! :eek: I've had a bunch soaking in a bottle of vinegar for the last four years. I don't know if there is any way I can use the vinegar or even if it is able to be used at all. Any suggestions are welcome.

Nomad

6. bluereef

bluereef Active Member

The "ornamental" chilies you find at nurseries and bargain stores, with the yellow, orange, and green upright chilies about an inch in length, are indeed edible. You just won't find them tasty.

Their best characteristic is their "ornamental" or pretty nature. Their flavor will be bland and they will generally be useless for cooking.

If you're really hungry, though, they'll give you some nourishment (thus, they are edible).

7. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I too have the same kind of pepper. A friend from Costa Rica gave it to me a few years ago. I finally got it to bear fruit this year by putting it on the deck and letting the flowers get pollinated, but this was after nearly losing it last year. I was able to get a "new" plant from cuttings dipped in rooting hormone (sold as Rootone at Walmart or nurseries) then stuck in seed starting soil. Make sure the soil stays moist but not soaking, and keep the humidity high by placing a plastic bag over it til roots start to grow. It's best to take cuttings from stems that are green and still pliable. Take the cutting near a leaf bud, but strip the leaves that will be below the dirt line before dipping in the rooting hormone. This worked for me to produce a "copy" of the mother plant, thus keeping the fruits the same. Hope this helps-good luck!