Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's supposed to get up to 32C here today, but with the humidex, it's supposed to feel like 44C! That's about 110F. It's supposed to be like this all week.

I'm having a tough time getting used to this humidity stuff -- didn't really have to deal with that in Alberta, as it was too high, but here it's damp. It's done wonderful things for my skin, but when it's already 80F (without humidex) at eight in the morning, you know you're in for a rough day.

We don't have air conditioning. We don't even have a fan -- never needed one in Alberta, and haven't thought to buy one before now here. Probably won't be any to be had if this weather keeps up!

Any ideas on how to keep cool in this would be GREATLY appreciated! I've already set up the sprinkler for the kids -- I might be out there with them!

·
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wind in Her Hair said:
Or move north. More north. way up north. :)
More north and I'm into mosquito territory. I'll take the heat :)

Thanks, WIHH -- I've got lots of ice, and made four jugs of lemonade and four of iced tea (the real stuff :) ) this morning. Lots of cold water from our sandpoint (it's pretty cold down there!). I think I've got a squirty bottle with VitaminE skin spray around here somewhere -- if it's empty, can I make my own with rubbing alcohol and water? I've got that.

I might be going out in my air-conditioned van and finding a kiddie pool... I might take a while :)

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
We have the same heat west of you Tracy.
just alittle hotter tho. they are calling for 34c and with the humidity they say 46c 0r so about 110f to 112f.
we dont have air conditioning either
Firsy I will say drink lots of water even if you are not outside in it.
Next would be to get acouple fans so you can circulate the air in the room. We have the ceiling fan on low and 2 small fans that sweep back and forth to move the air. Have found not to blow it right on you as it is just warm air blowing on you.
If you have a basement open the door to it as it seems it pulls the cooler air up
They say leave the windows closed in the hot times but I leave mine open as I hate them closed.
Donèt over exert yourself is about all you can do.
I do chores early in the morning (I get up at 4:00)
and beings it dont get dark until 9:00 I do them late in the evening
as well as check waters throughout the day.
All I can say is enjoy the Hot weather we are having as winter on the Prairies is not far away.

APPway

·
9,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've got the basement door open (it's lovely and cool down there -- relatively, anyhow :) ) and the widow's walk hatch open in the attic, as well -- it seems to be creating a nice circulation, even without fans.

The boys are taking care of the watering, and I'm pushing drinks on everyone. It's actually not too bad in here, yet.

We're supposed to get your weather tomorrow, Appway -- but the boys and I are going to Brandon (I'm taking them to the movies -- smart, huh? :D ) and I'll look for fans while I'm in town. DH is staying here, but he's better with the heat than I am :)

So far, it's not too bad. Lots of flies, though -- I think they're being driven in by the heat. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
okay, CF informs me (all the time) that theres no way for cooler air to rise on its own -but you could try sticking a fan in the stair well and try sucking the cooler air out of the basement up to the first floor.

and y'all quit whinin'. It ain't becomin'.
:)
Thats what I always said about the cool air rising on its own but for somew reason it comes up the stairs to the pantry and then to the kitchen and yes I agree a fan would really bring it up.

and y'all quit whinin'. It ain't becomin'.
Not whinning here I love the heat its the -40 winters that get to me as I get older My body chills more and at 135 pounds there is not alot of insulation (guess I need to eat some more Saskatoon berry pie :dance:

Have found in all these years that if we dont like the weather today it will change by tomorrow.

APPway

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Tracy Rimmer said:
We're supposed to get your weather tomorrow, Appway -- but the boys and I are going to Brandon (I'm taking them to the movies -- smart, huh? :D ) and I'll look for fans while I'm in town. DH is staying here, but he's better with the heat than I am :)

So far, it's not too bad. Lots of flies, though -- I think they're being driven in by the heat. :shrug:

I was going to suggest an afternoon movie. The theatres are always so cold I have to bring a sweater.

I alway keep a damp kitchen towel draped around my neck. It really seems to help.

Also, cook outside on the outdoor stove or grill. You would be surprised how much heat your oven will put out. Or eat cold foods. We eat a lot of salads and summer fruits when it is very hot.

Don't run your dryer and wash clothes on the coolest cycle. Even if your washer/ dryer is in the basement, remember warm air rises.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.