Hot Caps

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Windy in Kansas, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

In the mid 1980s I purchased some hot caps in the shape of cones. They were smaller than a standard traffic cone and were frosted translucent. I would describe them as being made of a material similar to acetate, similar to celluloid, similar to what are used in new shirt collars as stiffeners. However not the cardboard ones.

They came as a flat sheet and when rolled into a cone the edges met and locked together. The bottom edge had tabs that folded out with holes so that one could pin them into place with wires or long nails or whatever. The tip of the cone had about a 1½" hole for hot air escape and ventilation.

The only drawback was they would sometimes collapse against a plant if blown by strong winds.

As I recall they cost 88¢ each and when put up out of the sun each year lasted several years.

Do any of you know if these are still produced and where one might get some? I've never seen them at all in catalogs. The ones I purchased came from the plant sales area of a grocery store.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I was all ready to direct you to a company that still has them but they officially don't have them. Jung's garden centers seem to find a few dusty boxes each spring and then carry them back into storage for another year about Memorial Day. They pretty much became obsolete with the coming of the plastic gallon milk jugs. Can't even find anyone who still makes them.

Martin

3. Windy in Kansas

At least you know what I speak of.

I don't buy milk so never have the jugs. Never did like them because once you get the bottom curve cut off it leaves the jugs pretty short and small for the plant. The aforementioned cones could be kept on longer as the plant grew taller. The plant would sunburn if it touched the side.

Too bad they aren't made, good product for the cost in my opinion.

4. Paquebot

I went through half-dozen catalogs with no success but was still certain that I'd seen them in recent Jung's catalogs. Not there or on their website. One last place to look was the order blank insert and that's where they are! Regular size, package of 20 with setter for $12.95. Package of 100 with setter for $39.95. King size, 20 for for $18.95. If interested, you'll have to request a catalog from them. www.jungseed.com

Martin

5. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

You might search in forestry supplies , Ive seen something quite simular sold to protect new saplings. I think Baileys carries them

6. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    It's also on their web site. Look under supplies 2007, then choose season extenders. Called Hot Kaps. I just checked.

7. Paquebot

8. Windy in Kansas

Unfortunately those aren't the ones I'm speaking of.

The ones I have used were single layer material. Not the double layer tubes of Wall O Water, nor the regular waxed Hot Kaps.

Saylor Caps are another water system that I like the looks of better than Wall O Water. http://www.saylorsfarm.com/WaterCaps.htm

Thanks everyone.

9. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

Windy, could you make them? Seems I can remember a hot cap that was made on a stake. Cone of plastic and stapled on the stake. I never used any hot caps as could not afford but did not cover only one time late frost and used newspaper. I am not sure if one can buy plastic that would do for a cone. Fiber glass . One can cut the pattern and leave a hole at the top. if one needed a lot of them too time consuming.

10. Windy in Kansas

I did see an article a year to two ago for making cones out of thin fiberglass. I like the idea of them having longevity, however the cost if fairly high if you need very many of them. I'm looking at market gardening once again and would need hundreds.

For those that may not be aware homemade hot caps can be formed from newspaper and then covered with melted paraffin, which gives them somewhat of a translucency.

Haven't yet checked forestry supplies but will do so.

Thanks all!

11. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm planning on cutting off the bottom of milk jugs and anchoring them with a stick thrust through the top hole.