Hosta question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cardinal, Feb 17, 2005.

1. cardinal

cardinal Member

I have a spot alongside a building that has morning shade and afternoon sun. I know hostas are generally shade plants, but is there a variety that could do ok in the sun?

I just want to plant something and forget about it.

2. becky4050

becky4050 Member

In general, hostas that have yellow or white in the leaves are more sun-tolerant than the "blue" leaved varieties. Many of mine get quite a bit of sun during high summer and although some leaves look a little burned, they all bloom prolifically and multiply like crazy. I would just mulch them well and make sure they stay damp. Here are some specific varieties that are sun-tolerant:
    Abba Dabba Do, Foundling, Fragrant Bouquet, Francee, Ginko Craig, Gold Drop, Gold Edger, Goldee, Honeybells, Hoosier Harmony, Invincible, Lemon Lime, Plantaginea, Plantaginea 'Aphrodite', Plantaginea 'Ming Treasure', Royal Standard, Royal Super, So Sweet, Sugar and Cream, Sum and Substance, Sum It up, Sumthing Good, Sun Power, Sweet Standard (this list of specifics comes from the Dogwood Farms website).

3. cardinal

cardinal Member

Thanks Becky!

I'll give one of those a try.

4. DannyVanEecha

DannyVanEecha Member

A very good ( and beautiful ) one for full sun is H.Touch of Class.
    For picture see: http://www.hostacollectie.be ( under the button 'Foto-Index NF, 'T' )

Friendly regards,
    Danny