Hosta Fortune

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rainedaze, Aug 5, 2005.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I had the fortune of being able to go dig up a large garden of hostas from someone's home. She had posted on freecycle in our area that she was giving them away. I was able to get (forgive me for the descriptions as I do not know the names) the bluish colored hosta, the green with white edging, the all green, and the green with the yellowish colored edging. I received an email last night stating that she may have more later. I love these plants. They look great in the garden and are easy to grow. As I do not have a great green thumb these are the type of plants I need. I will be busy planting today and tomorrow.

:dance:

rainedaze

2. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

rainedaze, the bluish colored hosta is probably the mammoth variety, we have them and this thing gets huge. Don't worry about having a green thumb, we don't water them or feed them, nothin'. probably the only way to hurt them is to pour roundup on them.

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I'm not even sure Roundup would work. :D Hostas are great plants and can thrive almost anywhere. One thing I like about them is that they'll get big enough to divide so you can double your fortune every couple of years.

Enoy!

/VM

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Congratulations! I got some plants from freecycle last year, and it made me feel wonderfully rich! When I have to divide them, part will go back up on freecycle, just to give back.

Meg