Hospital patient discharged dressed only in gown and socks

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Irish Pixie, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

This is shockingly disgusting, and heads should roll for it being allowed to happen.

"The man who said he came to the aid of a woman discharged from a Baltimore hospital wearing only a gown and socks on a cold winter's night, says he was left outraged and stunned at how she was treated.

Imamu Baraka, identified in local reports as the person who sought to help the woman, told The Associated Press he was so angry he decided to record Tuesday night's events on cellphone video, fearing no one would believe him if he reported a woman being left at a bus stop like that."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/man_who_aided_baltimore_hospit.html

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Poor thing. Unbelievable.

3. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

That truly is sad and unexceptable ......I don't care who or where you are.

There really is really no way... that I know it.....other that people's goodwill and good sense to see to it that you have acceptable attire for the weather.

Kinda a pet peeve of mine as some personnel experience enter into my opinion.

Heart attack....shirt and T-shirt pretty much cut up and destroyed....shorts and pants kinda got "sharded in" .....So all kinda trashed.

After emergence cath and angioplasty .....then was discharged the next day
    Did have friend to call for a ride.....as my vehicle was 60 miles away (had spare clothes there), but the hospital did not have a way to "officially" provide clothing.

End ended up in a 5 year old left over T-shirt form a women's run scrub pants....and a blanket.

In the follow up survey they always send out,.... I mention this under comments and suggestions....NADA or feed back.

4. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Bad way to do things, but I know of no hospital that provides "discharge clothing".

Seems to me that social services should have been called before putting her out on the street like that.

Guess that's why they call it news...

hunter63 likes this.
  5. catsboy

catsboy Well-Known Member

That's Baltimore for ya! They probably had to open beds for gun shot victims.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It's called "Patient abandonment" and they can get into SOOO much trouble.

And they should.

LAFarm likes this.
  7. Irish Pixie

My husband wondered about this as well, and said that he thought everyone involved would be terminated. I agree.

Both Mr. Pixie and I donate clothes to his facility, some patients desperately need them.

LAFarm and Terri like this.
  8. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

The whole thing just surprised and disappointed me.....
    My experience just proves you can have a lot of bases covered with your preparations....but you can't think of everything.

There was a "go bag with a clothes change an hour away after an ambulance ride.

This women didn't seem to have ...anything.....What were they thinking?

9. Irish Pixie

She was incoherent and disoriented according to the article.

hunter63 likes this.
  10. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Maybe the lady had dementia,not sure of her age

11. Irish Pixie

She could have, or any number of psychiatric conditions, she definitely wasn't stabilized.

no really likes this.
  12. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

That's Baltimore for ya!

13. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

No one knows the back story, Yet all kinds of speculations and condemnations are running rampid.

Texaspredatorhu likes this.
  14. TerriLynn

TerriLynn Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had to go to the hospital with one of my kids in an ambulance, I had on dirty work clothes and ended up staying the night with him there.....the hospital staff was awesome, they found me a clean t-shirt (with the hospital logo on it) and an old pair of scrubs (bottoms) that I could wear to sleep in.

My son had his clothes cut off him and the provided a pair of pajamas for him to wear in the hospital, and let him keep them and wear them home.

I didn't watch the video..my husband watched it earlier today and told me about it......if I watch it I know I will be really upset.

RichNC, no really and Irish Pixie like this.
  15. Lisa in WA

Of course but I don’t know how taking an woman dressed in nothing more than a hospital gown outside and leaving her at a bus stop in sub freezing temps needs more explanation. It’s clearly wrong. Legally, morally, ethically, etc.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    kinnb, Wanda, LAFarm and 4 others like this.
  16. Irish Pixie

There is no way that any back story could be acceptable, plus a spokesman for the hospital clearly said in the article there was an issue with her discharge in that manner.

kinnb and LAFarm like this.
  17. no really

no really Well-Known Member

Little more info.

A woman who says she’s the mother of a patient dumped on the street outside a Baltimore hospital in frigid weather this week says she was laughed at and stonewalled by hospital staff while trying to find out about the status of her daughter.

The mother, who spoke to CBS News and identified herself only as Cheryl, said her daughter, Rebecca, is “not deaf, not a prostitute, not a drug addict,” but suffers from bipolar disorder and Asperger’s syndrome. The woman was filmed moaning and pacing around outside the University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus on Tuesday after being discharged by workers, in a video that has gone viral.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/1...patients-mom-says-was-mocked-by-security.html

18. Irish Pixie

Just worse and worse, the treatment of the mentally ill in this country is just abysmal.

19. Lisa in WA

we need more and better mental health facilities.

kinnb, IndyDave and no really like this.
  20. Irish Pixie

Absolutely, and much better treatment and followup.

no really likes this.