Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I don't have a horse of my own, but I am going to get one one day. Cause they are amazing, and they have done so much for me!
So, I thought I would start a thread, to post pics and stuff about your horses, and talk about them!
So if you have a horse you want to show off, feel free to post a couple pictures, and tell us a little bit about your horsey friend!! (lesson horses, and lease horses are also welcome!)

I'm not really getting official lessons right now, but I volunteer at an animal rescue, and she lets me ride the horses there almost every week! So I will post a little bit about them in a bit!

Can't wait to see all your horses!!

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
I had a magnet sign on my frig that stated "I used to have money, now I have horses".

·
Registered
18 Posts
First, a little about my horse experience:
I have been involved with horses for most of my life. I took lessons for many years as a young kid, but never progressed very far. I learned to ride at a huge lesson barn that I will call SVF. I didn't have the same instructor for very long (all college students that came and went over time), and each "instructor" taught the same lesson differently. So I learned via the school of hard knocks (or bucks, or rears...you get the gist :LOL:) I know the basics, just nothing fancy.
Anyway, I have ridden English and Western. I was a dreadful jumper, but I did that the longest. Followed by some very basic dressage, and Western much later. I learned way more with a Western instructor when I was in my late teens.

It just so happened when I was in my mid teens, that SVF had come under new management, and I worked there instead of riding there. I ran the 60 horse boarding and breeding facility woth the help of 1 other person, and was very proud of my work there.

All that to say, I was horse crazy and was never able to stay away from them for long. When hubby and I bought our home together 2 years ago, I bought my first horse. A Palomino QH named Bo. I boarded him locally, as we don't have any fencing on our property. He was a handful! After months together (he was a project horse) gaining his trust and earning his respect, I found out that I was pregnant with our first child. My MIL decided she could take him.

He was boarded at the same place for a few months when she first took him, but my MIL wanted to move him closer to her. Which is funny, because she doesn't ride him. It is ironic because she is a very accomplished rider. She was an eventer in her early years. Eventually she gravitated to dressage and trained up to Prix St George, and competed at that level. He is happy where he is, as a companion to a retired broodmare, so that works for me.

20200505_075345.jpg

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Horses are half-ton beasts with a brain the size of a walnut..What could go wrong?

I always wondered how drunk was the first human when he decided he wanted to try to jump on one and ride it? What was he thinking?

Pay attention next time you watch a cowboy movie-- They cut away quickly after gun shots, run-away wagons, fight scenes, etc...They don't show you the horses' reactions very often....BTW-- ever seen a cowboy flick with any piles of horse apples in the road? So much for Reality TV.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
With a family one horse is needed for everyone. Other wise its no fun. Started with one then 4 more. Money gos in poop comes out. Unless its your working horse then they work for their keep. But for pleasure it costs money. Feed vets furrier equipment boarding fencing stall barn water troughs list gos on. To get an idea of cost in your area contact boarding stables that do all the work for you.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm a horseless rider now, but used to have a bunch of Tennessee Walking horses (not padded, strictly pleasure) I didn't start riding until I was in my early 40's. I did take lessons but not your traditional lessons. I found a girl who taught but she taught everything from picking hooves, to cleaning stalls, to saddling, working through issues, etc. I worked with her for a year before buying my first horse and then another year to get my horses ready (and me ready) to be a team. Here's my boy Rebel. He was the first one I bought and the last that I sold before moving. He belongs to a young girl now and she is having a ball with him. (he loved to do tricks....for carrots. And this bow came in very handy for me as i got older. He was 16 hands so a good bow meant I could on easier.)

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,472 Posts
A beautiful and very well trained pair! Are they yours? Glad you shared these videos!!!
Yes, they are full brothers born on my farm. I also compete in a county fair driving competition, in an obstacle course, that includes backing and turning. In this photo, the goal is to turn the horses in a circle while keeping one tire on the plywood "keyhole", then pulling away with that tire on the narrow plywood "runway". That circle is 4 feet across, but seems small when turning a team. The cart doesn't have brakes, so is no help in staying in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Horses are half-ton beasts with a brain the size of a walnut..What could go wrong?

I always wondered how drunk was the first human when he decided he wanted to try to jump on one and ride it? What was he thinking?

Pay attention next time you watch a cowboy movie-- They cut away quickly after gun shots, run-away wagons, fight scenes, etc...They don't show you the horses' reactions very often....BTW-- ever seen a cowboy flick with any piles of horse apples in the road? So much for Reality TV.
Doc---you sound just like my Dad did when I was at home. I loved horses and he told me they had the brain the size of a walnut. He was raised on a horse and sheep ranch in northern Montana and he hated Montana too!

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Yes, they are full brothers born on my farm. I also compete in a county fair driving competition, in an obstacle course, that includes backing and turning. In this photo, the goal is to turn the horses in a circle while keeping one tire on the plywood "keyhole", then pulling away with that tire on the narrow plywood "runway". That circle is 4 feet across, but seems small when turning a team. The cart doesn't have brakes, so is no help in staying in place.
We used to belong to the Virginia Draft Horse and Mule Association that held get-togethers and plow days, etc., as well as an annual show. It was interesting and fun, a lot of good people. Sadly, it's no longer active, but those were good times! Hope you'll post more pictures.

·
18,472 Posts
We used to belong to the Virginia Draft Horse and Mule Association that held get-togethers and plow days, etc., as well as an annual show. It was interesting and fun, a lot of good people. Sadly, it's no longer active, but those were good times! Hope you'll post more pictures.
The team barrel race is a crowd favorite. Just like any barrel race with three barrels. I do it at the trot, so not competitive to the guys that can handle the gallop.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

It all depends on who trains them. I can shoot a rifle or pistol of any off my horses or mules. I have killed both coyotes and deer with a pistol from horseback. I start with fire crackers. I tie them to a big tree and throw fire crackers under their feet, until they no longer flinch. Then I start shooting a pistol near by. And all of mine leave horse apples all over the place.

I have never been in a cowboy movie, so my experiences may not be real.

·
18,472 Posts
That's an amazing photo!!!
As someone that loves to drive a team, this is a real hoot. In addition to the competitive driving, there are real fun events. A team, wth two wheeled forecart, pulling a flat bottom sled. In the sled is a rocking chair and a person seated in the rocker with a bucket of 20 softballs. Driver takes the sled around the arena's course, stopping at 5 different barrels as the person in the rocker attempts to get the balls into each barrel, 4 balls per barrel. Timed event with time subtracted for each ball that goes into the barrel. So, must drive fast, to beat the best time, but must stop neat the barrels and stay steady, then on to the next barrel without rolling the person out of the rocking chair.

Attachments

·
18,472 Posts
As someone that loves to drive a team, this is a real hoot. In addition to the competitive driving, there are real fun events. A team, wth two wheeled forecart, pulling a flat bottom sled. In the sled is a rocking chair and a person seated in the rocker with a bucket of 20 softballs. Driver takes the sled around the arena's course, stopping at 5 different barrels as the person in the rocker attempts to get the balls into each barrel, 4 balls per barrel. Timed event with time subtracted for each ball that goes into the barrel. So, must drive fast, to beat the best time, but must stop neat the barrels and stay steady, then on to the next barrel without rolling the person out of the rocking chair.
These same teams pull surreys around the fairgrounds all week long providing free transportation.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts