Horseradish

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MARSHALL, Jul 8, 2005.

1. MARSHALL

MARSHALL Member

I Planted Some Horseradish This Spring, And From What I Understand It Has To Grow A Couple Of Years Before It Can Be Harvested. Should I Cut The Tops Off This Fall Or Just Leave It Alone? Also When I Do Dig It Up How Much Of The Old Root Do I Save To Replant?

2. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

I usually take what I need off of each plant and replace the root system back in the ground, got a patch that's going on it's 5th year this way. Just make sure you have at least a 6" piece of root offshoot to replace. You could also take the entire root system and replace the crown (with some root on it) to get new plants. Never tried this, but hear tell it can be done.

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Horseradish should be harvested in a month that ends with an 'R' (Septemer - December)

Anyone know how to keep the heat of horseradish once it's been ground?? Mine started off fire-ey hot and within a few months there was the horseradish taste, but no heat at all. I looked on a commercial jar and it said, "flavor added"

4. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

If your talking fresh grated....... it will lose it's heat after awhile. Maybe try canning it for longer storage?

5. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

We bought a package that had a couple short pieces of root in it. We planted it last spring and harvested it in the winter (Nov or Dec?, can't remember). We had enough ground to fill a quart jar. Plenty! DH gave many half pint jars away as gifts.
    The smell of horseradish and vinegar in the kitchen was pretty potent!

There was plenty of small pieces left to replant.
    We had it contained in a half drum, or so we thought. One of the roots grew right out through the drainage hole and it's now escaped into our yard. So when people say it's invasive, believe them! LOL

6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I wish ours were just a little bit more invasive ... I've been composting for 3 years to try to ammend this sand they call dirt around here