Horseradish

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doc623, Mar 14, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Does anyone here make their own horseradish?
    If so how do you make yours?

2. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

I do ...
    Its easy
    Peel your horsradish roots .. I use a stainles steel scratchy pads to do the small ones, peeler on the big ones

cut it up in small chunks toss in the blender , cover with vinegar and whirl away , add more vinegar if needed, keep covered with vinegar in fridge
    this way saves on burning eyes .. easy to do

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We grow our own. In the fall after a killing frost I dig it, dry it a bit in the sun to get the dirt so I can rub it off and then put it in the pumphouse to keep it. I then make my own sauces with it.

Basic sauce.........2 parts horseradish in the blender with a little less than one part vinegar. That will keep in the refrigerator for quite some time. It can than be added to mayo or mustard or catsup........depending on how you want to use it. It is one of those things (the blender thing) that is best done outside if you can as it really stinks the house up IMO.

edited to add..........wash and peel before using :eek:

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Our horseradish is hot Hot HOT when first processed. It really loses it's bite over time. Is this normal??? We just finished off the last of the horseradish last night ... :waa:

Old Wives tale is that horseradish can be harvested in any month that ends with the letter "R"

5. jim63129

jim63129 Member

E-mail rmmcbud@aol.com

He get's his root from Collinsville, Illionis.
    Makes the best... ask him nicely for advise.

6. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

So only in: September, October, November, and December???

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i desperately want to get some root cuttings, anyone with extras, pm me :D , i know once you get some going it doesnt stop , but i dont have any here :D

8. All country

All country Well-Known Member

I harvet mine in any month ending in R. I only harvest my patch every other year.

First I peel it with a vegatable peeler and cut it into 3 -4 inch pieces. I then throw it into the blender to grate. A lot easier than using the hand grater like my Mom did. After it's grated I fill small jars (jelly jars) with horseradish, place 1/4 tsp. salt on top then cover with white vinegar. Be sure to leave around 1/2 inch head space in the jars. Cover jars with lid and freeze. I put the lids on real loose until everything is frozen the I tighten them.

My horseradish is always hot and taste fresh. It doesn't seem to loose it's heat stored in the freezer. I take a jar out of the freezer and put it into the refrigerator as needed.

It's really easy to do and doesn't take much time.

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Nice thread folks.Thank you.

BooBoo

10. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Can I grow horseradish in NW Wisconsin?

11. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We could never get the crowns to grow here in Colorado but I bought plants in IA and they are great. You cannot find plants in CO. I think your plant needs to be older...we try to only dig if 4 yrs. old. One time in IL we dug some that was only 2 yrs old and it was not hot. One summer my niece talked me into "helping" her make 50+ jars...she sold it all and many people kept asking her for more! We wait until after frost in Sept and then dig. A couple small roots makes quite a bit. We use the blender method as mentioned above. When we did the large loads in IA/IL we used the grinder attachment on a mixer and poured white vinegar over it. We also made it outside. I heard you can make it in any month with an "r" in it.

12. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

You can add mustard also while blending. I always like sugaring it up also…

13. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I had a couple of roots 4, I think I let them go about 4 years, they made many fionmgers we dug thenm last fall, in nov. we ground them , and added vinegar, then we planted out the tops, like you are supposed to. I planted over 40 of them . in rows. i am sure we will have plenty to dig next fall. we all love it, and eat it with roasts, or steak.

14. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I'll try freezing it after processing this year.

Thanks for the advice!

15. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

we dug ours for the first time last year. IT was really hot when we first dug it, but as it sat in the fridge, it got less strong.
    I love the stuff. We put vinegar over it. do you peel yous first? or just wash and grind? I think I just washed and ground it up. We eat it on steak, roast, and about anything else, be just love it.
    does anyone know how to have it keep its hot. ?

16. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

for a zesty flavoring for grilled chicken etc try putting a lil thousand island and horseradish together. its a great southwestern style dressing. i know folks that loathe horseradish but love the thousand island sauce. I mix mine one part thousand to three parts radish.

17. NewEnglandBeth

NewEnglandBeth Well-Known Member

I'm going to harvest some right now...need some for a recipe for green tomato relish!

18. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have never dug ours in the fall, only in the spring, so we have it fresh for our polish sausage on Easter Sunday. It's dug up before it starts to sprout.

We grind ours outside with the grinder clamped to the picnic table. Be sure to stand up-wind.

I'm not too fond of adding beet juice to it. I like mine plain and hot.

Maybe we'll try some thing fall.

19. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Most grocery stores sell fresh horseradish root in the produce department.