Horseradish question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Lararose, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Lararose

Lararose Adams Nebraska

I do pretty much the same. You can dig up your root or roots and take what you need and put the rest back in the ground. In my case I take the whole root and whatever I did not dig up, all those little pieces sprout new plants!

2. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies! I was wondering about the root. How much,do I dig it right up,etc. Now I know,thanks again,

3. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

After I dig it, wash, peel the skin. Then I get the food processer out and grate it. After it is grated I put the chopper blade in and chop it until it looks like the stuff I get in the store. When it is almost to the consistancy I want I start adding white vinegar. Not too much I just try to get it so it looks like the stuff I buy.

If you think onyons make your eyes water, you are in for a treat. :stars:

Steve

4. kath2003

Oh man, I never thought about how I'm gonna smash it up! Hmmmmm,maybe I'll make a trip to Ebay for a food processer,thank you buckrun! I can't wait to make it.

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

You don't HAVE to use a food processor -- but I think it will help.

This is my first year for horseradish, too. I'll harvest next time we go to The Farm. (I love plants I can leave for the whole season!)

You can do what they did in The Good Old Days: Grate by hand.

Either way, by hand or by machine, I'm betting it's a good idea to process the roots outside if at all possible.

Pony!

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Time for harvest can be right now or early spring. It's virtually impossible to get every piece of root so you normally wouldn't have to worry about having to start over and buy new root stock. I've always harvested only in the fall and used to cut the root tips off for planting back. Now I don't bother as horseradish is almost a weed for me!

If you have a meat grinder, that's the best way. For coarse results, use a 3/16" sausage plate. For fine spread, once or twice through a 1/8" hamburger plate will make it. I also never skin it, just wash and scrub real good with a stiff brush.

And, of course, do it all outside!

Martin

7. kath2003

I could save my money and gets some excersize,which I could use,and use my grater! Now,if I waited untill next spring would it have a better rooting? I just planted them in I think late May early June.Then I planted them to close,so I had to do it again!They look good,just sort of small.I will definetly make sure it is outside :)